Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 935

0 members and 935 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

which female should i get?

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself, my username is Smoothdog89 mostly due to my previous job i had in the military. I am married with 3 children. Personally i have been keeping reptiles since i was 8 yrs old and i am now 30 yrs old. I've always had a love for reptiles in general but i am relatively new to ball pythons so there is a good chance you'll see quite a few posts from me in the future. (my apologies in advance for dumb questions lol) My wife and i are wanting to get into breeding ball pythons. We currently reside in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. I look forward to becoming more and more involved in this forum. So. i have the chance to get 7 different ball pythons, 3 females and 4 males. At this time i only have enough cash to get 2 possibly 3 just depending. I definitely need more females if we're going to start breeding. Below is what i currently have:
    - Champagne Pinstripe Female 682g
    - Disco Pastel Male 150g
    - Lavender Albino Male 108g
    - Mojave Male 96g (Most likely going to sell this one to fund more females)

Now below is what i have the opportunity to get:

1. Female Pastel Lesser Het 100% Genetic Stripe 1300g - $150.00
    2. Female Ultrafly 321g - $200.00
    3. Female Blue Eyed Lucy 829g - $400.00
    4. Male Coral Glow Lace Black Back 442g - $180
    5. Male Butter Pastel 821g - $150.00
    6. Male Banana Enchi Genetic Stripe GHI 382g - $280.00
    7. Male Pastel Orange Ghost 113g - $100.00

Just thought i would try and get some advice from some more experienced breeders on what are good buys, have the most potential, and any that i should try to avoid. I haven't quite decided what morphs i am wanting to breed but i am partial to banana, enchi, pastel, orange dream etc...Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: which female should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothdog89 View Post
    Just thought i would try and get some advice from some more experienced breeders on what are good buys
    Quality is a huge factor--especially in a competitive market. Genes can express in high or low amounts. Low expression snakes are generally worth less. Producing high expression snakes from low expression snakes is possible, but, it can potentially take years/generations to improve your breeding stock.

If you are breeding as a hobby then you should select combinations that would produce offspring you like. If you are breeding for potential gain you should examine the market trends and base your breeding selections based on future projected prices (adjusted for depreciation).
    *.* TNTC

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

You have some nice females for an interesting mix in the future.

Males containing co-dom are likely to drop in price slightly year by year so I would honesly buy a few choice females this year and leave the males to next year when you have female closer to breeding size.

Of the females listed I'm more tempted by the ultra-fly but, if you want to go for a male, the bananna enchi genetic stripe does add three genes you don't already have and also opens the road for 100% het offspring when the time comes.

Just my
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post

Males containing co-dom are likely to drop in price slightly year by year so I would honesly buy a few choice females this year and leave the males to next year when you have female closer to breeding size.

Of the females listed I'm more tempted by the ultra-fly but, if you want to go for a male, the bananna enchi genetic stripe does add three genes you don't already have and also opens the road for 100% het offspring when the time comes.

Just my
    Well I currently only have one female and that is the champagne pinstripe so what I'm really needing are more females. The ultra flying and the lesser pastel het genetic stripe females were kind of on my radar because I like to get at least 4 total females to start with. The mail banana and she is a little bit out of my price range because I need to get the females but the male Coral glow lace black back is another one I had my eye on. The lesser pastel het genetic stripe female and coral glow lace black back male are coming from the same seller and I can get both of them for $300. However if I do that I won't be able to get the ultra fly female which seems to be a pretty good buy. I'm really leaning towards getting in the ultrafly female and the lesser pastel het genetic stripe female. Would those be good females to get or maybe just get the Ultrafly female and coral glow male? Thanks for the advice. Is very much appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post

Just my
    Okay I agree because as you can see I only have one email which is the champagne pinstripe so out of the females that I have a chance to buy which would you recommend? Should I just can't one and weight for the upcoming expo here in DFW Texas soon? The ultra fly female it's just something that I have not seen that often and was just very recently made, I believe in 2010. Of the males that I have now which ones do you think I should sell when talking about breeding purposes? Also at first we're going to breed for what we like but I also would like to at least be able to support our hobby by breeding and who knows if it goes well enough maybe we'll expand but as of right now that's the idea