Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,042

1 members and 3,041 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Can I clean this water dish safetly??

I need a water dish, and have this one in the "spare parts" bin from a re-homed snake I got. It has basic water build up (calcium, ect) on it.

Not from me, I don't let mine get like that, and I prefer using glass water bowls. But can this be cleaned safely to be able to use it?

Bleach soak? I'm guessing a CLR clean is out of the question. soap/water scrub with a scrub brush? fine sandpaper run over it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about re-using with a little work if needed, BUT I Do Not want to endanger my snakes!

So will toss it out and get a new $10.00 dish if that's what's needed no issues there. Just didn't know if it was reusable or not.

And Yes, I'll be asking lots of strange questions like this......

Thanks In Advance

Jeff

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I would soak it in white vinegar and then run it through the dishwasher.

No CLR or bleach.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (09-01-2019),John1982 (09-08-2019),viper69 (02-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You do NOT want to use bleach...it may probably forever become part of the bowl, as far as fumes/taste/& toxicity, & anyway, bleach will NOT remove the deposits.

Soak full of white vinegar until the hard water deposits soften & can be scrubbed off. Vinegar is also a mild disinfectant, but I'd use another (F10 or chlorhexidine)
    after the vinegar & rinse, just to be safe. You probably could use CLR, with a very thorough soap scrub & rinsing after (instead of vinegar) but I wouldn't take the chance.

What's this bowl made of? Hard plastic? or ceramic? (if it's not plastic, you could bake it too, I suppose, to kill germs)

BTW, you can find all sorts of inexpensive bowls (not necessarily designed for pets but for people) in thrift stores that cost very little too. Nothing "soaks into" glass,
    so it's safe once cleaned thoroughly.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-01-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (09-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Can I clean this water dish safetly??

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I would soak it in white vinegar and then run it through the dishwasher.

No CLR or bleach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You do NOT want to use bleach...it may probably forever become part of the bowl, as far as fumes/taste/& toxicity, & anyway, bleach will NOT remove the deposits.

Soak full of white vinegar until the hard water deposits soften & can be scrubbed off. Vinegar is also a mild disinfectant, but I'd use another (F10 or chlorhexidine)
    after the vinegar & rinse, just to be safe. You probably could use CLR, with a very thorough soap scrub & rinsing after (instead of vinegar) but I wouldn't take the chance.

What's this bowl made of? Hard plastic? or ceramic? (if it's not plastic, you could bake it too, I suppose, to kill germs)

BTW, you can find all sorts of inexpensive bowls (not necessarily designed for pets but for people) in thrift stores that cost very little too. Nothing "soaks into" glass,
    It was a hard plastic Zoo Med Repti Rock water dish,

And Excellent advice, Thank You to both of you.... White vinegar work GREAT, and DUH to me, I have bottles of that stuff here, use it for cleaning and in my laundry, didn't even cross my mind to use it to soak the dish.... Now it looks like New again, and i have it soaking in a chlorhexidine solution to disinfect before using...

Thanks Again!

Jeff

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (09-01-2019),Bogertophis (09-01-2019)

Thanks
    P.S. White vinegar is good for cleaning toilets, faucets, sinks & showers too. Cheaper by the gallon...& better for the environment too.

Thanks
    If I was reusing something for a new animal that had previously been exposed to a new animal, I would bleach the hell out of it, then clean it with another solution such as Novalsan or mild dish detergent or chlorhexidine, then subject it to thorough rinsing. This is separate from removing mineral deposit--clean first, then disinfect.
    XPLSV
    _______

2.2 Pokigron Surninam, Rio Bravo line
    1.0 Pomaville Peruvian

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XPLSV View Post
    If I was reusing something for a new animal that had previously been exposed to a new animal, I would bleach the hell out of it, then clean it with another solution such as Novalsan or mild dish detergent or chlorhexidine, then subject it to thorough rinsing. This is separate from removing mineral deposit--clean first, then disinfect.
    The "bowl" is made of some sort of plastic or resin, which can & will retain the bleach smell, fumes & toxicity; just as you don't re-use bleach bottles, bleach is a bad idea
    in this case. If it were glass, sure...go ahead & use bleach...but not on plastic. You don't want to harm your snakes.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-02-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

You are totally correct on that!! Thanks for the hint!!

I found these bowls in my local Goodwill, they are 6" across, 3" deep heavy ceramic (made in china though), They were 4 for 4.00, got to the counter

they tell me, Oh that a blue sticker, that's half off today, So 4 bowls for $2.00.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-08-2019)

Thanks
    I love thrift stores...stuff is always changing, & special sales make things even cheaper. Our local thrifts also support good causes like Humane Society shelter,
    shelters for battered women & kids needing help, our local hospital, etc. Nothing like a good "treasure hunt" for a good cause & very little $. I also donate to them.

Good job finding a sweet deal for your needs!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-08-2019 at 04:19 PM.