Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 539

2 members and 537 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: Should I move my snakes into my garage?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, no problem.

1 8.33%
  • No, not at all.

5 41.67%
  • Yes, with air conditioning and modifications.

6 50.00%
  • Maybe but it's risky.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I live in FL too. I don't know how you can keep your reptiles in the garage because it gets way too hot in the summer and too cold when we get cold snaps. Our garages are not insulated? With the door open, it can still get pretty hot in the summer. You will have to convert that into a room with A/C to ensure the safety and better control of temps and humidity for your reptiles. No one I know keeps pets of any kind in the garage, not even a dog, just because of how hot it can get in there.

And for the post that asked, no, we do not have any laws pertaining to how we can keep our reptiles, only a list of what you can or cannot keep without registration.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2019),rock (09-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    For what it's worth, I used to live in the California desert & raised all kinds of rodents in my garage, both for sale & to feed my then-huge family of snakes.
    I've never kept snakes in a garage, but let me just add, that was a 4+ car garage (that I did pull my van in & out of most days, as I went to work etc), BUT it
    was a "finished" garage....the walls & ceiling were well insulated & I personally insulated the garage door also, & I had A/C installed (a "swamp cooler" actually,
    but you'll need A/C) on a thermostat control, & also had "up-ducts" to keep the air flowing up & out). Even in So Cal, winters got cold (I was in the "high desert")
    & for that I insulated the rodent cages...they make enough body heat to get by, unlike snakes, & as already mentioned, excess heat is generally the bigger danger. (the rodent cages were also NOT near the garage door, btw)

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is power...as in when storms knock out your electricity. In a hot or cold garage, you are going to lose animals unless
    you also have a generator ready to run. It's far less a problem in a house, simply because there is more air space...it takes much longer to get dangerous so you
    have more time to mitigate until the power is on. So you may be running A/C in your garage in the heat, but think how fast your garage is going to be a death-
    trap for your snakes if you lose power? And what if you aren't home to even know about it? If your garage is not even insulated...???

And as I mentioned before, don't under-estimate ants or other pests. Even in my house I had invading ants kill a cute gecko...they entered his cage presumably
    for his mealworms, but bit him too & he quickly died.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-01-2019 at 10:11 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

rock (09-01-2019)

Thanks

Re: Considering moving my snakes into the garage.

Everyone has made great points and I thank you for them. To answer one question, yes, my garage is fully finished cinderblock and plaster walled. It also has an extra 1/2 garage alcove I could use to frame and wallboard with a windowed a/c.

All in all, however, I do feel now thanks to all of the responses that I would rather not keep animals in there. For all of the above written reasons and variables, my snakes would be at a much higher risk of perishing and that is the opposite of my intention. In addition, the further I protected them in the garage I would also make it more difficult for me to see them everyday which is also not what I had envisioned.

So again, thank you all for the advice. This was a great way to clarify the pros and cons of an idea and I didn't have to learn the hard way or stress my snakes in the process. Cheers!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2019),dakski (09-02-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    ...In addition, the further I protected them in the garage I would also make it more difficult for me to see them everyday which is also not what I had envisioned...
    That's also why I've never kept my snakes in a "snake room" -even IF they'd fit... The old adage "out of sight, out of mind" is very true...easy to miss spilled water or
    actual disasters in the making, & personally, I just enjoy seeing my pets...they're part of my life. Glad to help you think thru this...safety & enjoyment are HUGE reasons
    to keep snakes where you can see & easily interact with them. Sounds like you have a nice garage though, for other things...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

rock (09-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's also why I've never kept my snakes in a "snake room" -even IF they'd fit... The old adage "out of sight, out of mind" is very true...easy to miss spilled water or
    actual disasters in the making, & personally, I just enjoy seeing my pets...they're part of my life. Glad to help you think thru this...safety & enjoyment are HUGE reasons
    to keep snakes where you can see & easily interact with them. Sounds like you have a nice garage though, for other things...
    I absolutely agree with you. Safety and enjoyment, you nailed it. As for the other garage things, I’ll add that I also have a full size fridge for beverages, etc... And a couple years ago I covered the entire floor with heavy duty horse stall mats. Great to walk on, great for a mini gym (intended purpose at the time) and great at cutting noise. That said, the mats and the typical garage items like paint and cleaners that are in the cabinets also made me worry about unknown air toxins that could hurt the snakes. So, just a people garage for now on!
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rock For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-01-2019)

Thanks
    "...horse stall mats..." I like how you think. "outside the box" for solutions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

rock (09-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    "...horse stall mats..." I like how you think. "outside the box" for solutions.
    Hah, absolutely. Thank you. 😁
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12