Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,796

2 members and 2,794 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: BP's and Children..help

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Most medical doctors know very little about reptiles & are quick to paint them all with the same brush, ie. saying they carry salmonella. In truth, it's far more likely found in aquatic turtles, and WAY more likely your child got sick by accidentally coming into contact with a cutting board or towel that contacted raw chicken in your kitchen than anything to do with your snakes or lizards. And don't forget the grocery store! Do you use the sanitizing wipes on the carts??? People put raw meat in the carts and the packages may have leaks & germs on the outside, hint hint! Your doctor just jumped to an unfounded conclusion, IMO.

You have my very best wishes for your son's speedy recovery...while I understand your priorities, I'd not be so quick to get rid of your reptiles over this. Little kids
    stick their hands everywhere, as was already suggested, plus they are smaller & have less resistance to these things compared to older kids or adults. I understand your panic...no one wants their children to be seriously ill...it's scary...but IMO it's NOT the snakes that are an issue (& I have 34 years of keeping a house FULL of snakes & some lizards, along with raising my own rodents & having multiple dogs), & as a parent of small children, getting rid of your reptiles is not any sort of guarantee that your children will never get such an illness again.
    It funny you mention the shopping cart wipes because my wife is so anal about wiping down the entire cart prior to putting any of the in them haha I had my suspicions regarding the doctors advice and i thank all you for the responses. As i was thinking its almost impossible to pinpoint how he had gotten it, plus the fact that no one else got it. Thanks again and i think we will be keeping the reptiles and maybe our younger kids wont be allowed to handle them until they're 5.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smoothdog89 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (09-01-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (09-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Re: BP's and Children..help

Quote Originally Posted by smoothdog89 View Post
    It funny you mention the shopping cart wipes because my wife is so anal about wiping down the entire cart prior to putting any of the in them haha I had my suspicions regarding the doctors advice and i thank all you for the responses. As i was thinking its almost impossible to pinpoint how he had gotten it, plus the fact that no one else got it. Thanks again and i think we will be keeping the reptiles and maybe our younger kids wont be allowed to handle them until they're 5.
    I think that's a good plan. Also checking with your vet about testing your snakes? (And tell your wife she's doing the right thing on the carts, lol.)

May you all stay very healthy from now on.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NewmanLovesSnakes (09-01-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123