Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,138

3 members and 3,135 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just curious

Thanks

just curious

How often do you breed your female BP's? and how many times do you breed them before you retire them?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: just curious

It depends on body condition and weight to be honest. I will give females the year off if they haven't gained back the weight I deem that they would need to breed the next season. Sometimes I will just decide to give them the year off. I personally haven't retired any of my females. My Mojave will be 10 years old this year and has bred the past 3 years in a row without issues or health problems.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PghBall For This Useful Post:

rufretic (08-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    This is an interesting topic. I don't feel I have enough experience to contribute much but I do have a couple females that have not gone annually but instead seem to be on an every other year schedule. Then I have a female that laid a big clutch of 10 for her first time last year and now I believe she is going into her prelay shed so she'll be my first to go 2 years in a row. She is an amazing eater, only took off about a month when she had her clutch last year and then immediately went back on food after laying. She is almost double her weight from last year. So I would say good eating girls could go every year without issues.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I can't speak for breeding BPs, but when I had a rosy boa that insisted* on reproducing (long story), she seemed to have no difficulty doing so every year for 5
    out of 6 years before she finally accepted "retirement", & she was an older snake too when she got started. Our pets have a much easier life than wild snakes...
    they have plenty of food & pretty optimal conditions, compared to wild ones, which I suspect may reproduce less frequently...more like every other year. Anyway,
    I would guess that many vigorous females of whatever species can accomplish similar reproduction, but you always want to allow for individual differences too, &
    don't push it.

(*this was an unwanted & unbred snake I took in from a museum that produced slugs & a live deformed neonate by parthenogenesis the first year I had her, so
    reluctantly I gave her a mate for to avoid those problems in the future. I had never wanted to breed rosy boas in the first place, but at least with a mate, she
    produced nothing but perfectly robust offspring, nearly 50 in all. She also lived for some years beyond all that to a very "ripe old age".)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (08-28-2019),NJ Balls (08-29-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's up to them not to me that's why being in tune with your animal when breeding and knowing what to look for is important, some will go every year, some with take a break every now and than, some will take a brea every other year.

As for how long can they produce some females way into their 20 are being bred by those that have animal that old.

I will likely retire from breeding snakes before my snakes do or are too old to.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-28-2019),NJ Balls (08-29-2019)

Thanks

Reason I asked, I have a female 2,200g that I rescued three years ago.

She was gravid when I got her which I didn't know at the time.

She has produced three good healthy clutches of 6, 8, and 7 eggs but I noticed a big difference in the texture of the eggs. The first year the eggs were very white and smooth, this year the eggs were off color and had a lot of bumps all over the eggs. When they were first laid I thought they might be bad eggs and checked them a few times a week to see if they turned brown and moldy. To my surprise the first egg opened a few days ago and a nice plump healthy normal popped out this morning. The other six eggs have also pipped but they haven't come out yet.

She's a great eater and is always heavier then the previous year at the beginning of breeding season but I'm concerned because I don't know anything about her, I don't know how old she is or if she's been breed before. She may already be a retired breeder for all I know.

My plan is to give her next year off because I don't want to breed her to death.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Balls For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-28-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Over the years egg will never look the same regardless of the female's age, sometimes they will be nice and smooth sometimes rough and bumpy which neither affect their viability.

As for viability not all eggs are meant to hatch and not all babies are meant to be that's just nature.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-28-2019),Godzilla78 (08-30-2019),NJ Balls (08-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Balls View Post
    Reason I asked, I have a female 2,200g that I rescued three years ago.

She was gravid when I got her which I didn't know at the time.

She has produced three good healthy clutches of 6, 8, and 7 eggs but I noticed a big difference in the texture of the eggs. The first year the eggs were very white and smooth, this year the eggs were off color and had a lot of bumps all over the eggs. When they were first laid I thought they might be bad eggs and checked them a few times a week to see if they turned brown and moldy. To my surprise the first egg opened a few days ago and a nice plump healthy normal popped out this morning. The other six eggs have also pipped but they haven't come out yet.

She's a great eater and is always heavier then the previous year at the beginning of breeding season but I'm concerned because I don't know anything about her, I don't know how old she is or if she's been breed before. She may already be a retired breeder for all I know.

My plan is to give her next year off because I don't want to breed her to death.
    I think I'd do the same thing, just being cautious & because you don't know her history...try to give her next year off, & then see how she looks the following year.
    I say "try to" because some snakes retain & reproduce even when we don't plan for them to do so. But chances are her health will appreciate the break you provide.
    Snakes that aren't over-bred tend to have bigger & healthier offspring, and may stay healthier themselves.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

NJ Balls (08-29-2019)

Thanks

Turned out to be an awesome clutch.

My female is a bumblebee and I paired her with a Bamboo.

The clutch produced 2 - Normals, 3 - Bamboo pastels, and 2 - bamboo pastel spiders.

Those are pretty good odds.

I don't know what I was worried about.

The other normal and bambees haven't come out of their eggs yet.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ Balls For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (08-30-2019),rufretic (08-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Congrats man, very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast