Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,900

2 members and 2,898 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Awesome ordered! Snake is 1898g, should I got with a large hide box from reptile basics? And 1 or 2?

Thanks

Re: Got the cage, now ordering everything else

Quote Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
    Awesome ordered! Snake is 1898g, should I got with a large hide box from reptile basics? And 1 or 2?

I have 2 large hides. One on hot side one on cool side. Between the water bowl and the 2 hides it might look like it takes up a lot of space but the snake will love it.

Thanks
    Herpstat arrived yesterday, hides coming soon, then ready to put the BP!! What does everyone use to hold down the cable from the herpstat on the inside of cage? Also best location to out the probe?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Herpstat arrived yesterday, hides coming soon, then ready to put the BP!! What does everyone use to hold down the cable from the herpstat on the inside of cage? Also best location to out the probe?
    Heat tape or RHP? (I skimmed some, so may have missed this...)

If using heat tape, the probe does not go inside the cage. It goes in the groove in the bottom directly above the heat tape on whichever side you place the heat tape.

For RHP, I put a small hole, just large enough for the probe to go through, and hang it about 2 inches off the floor on the RHP side and secure with a small plastic clip I had around. Some folks place the probe on the cool end and set to get the gradient right, so either one can work. Either way, just test and adjust to get the right gradient set up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    RHP I’m using, is there any safe tape or anything to use so I can maybe run the cable along the seems out the top hole already installed?

Thanks

RHP I’m using, is there any safe tape or anything to use so I can maybe run the cable along the seems out the top hole already installed?
    No tape ever on the inside, humidity and heat are good at causing tape to loosen over time and any corner that lifts up can result in a snake getting stuck to it and ripping scales off. In bad cases it can do enough damage to be lethal before you even see it as the snake struggles against the "predator" grabbing it. (Some have snapped their own necks/spines trying to escape strong tape, most at least get gnarly wounds that may become infected)

If you need to secure inside, either silicone (with no mold additives & following the 1 week minimum air out and cure time) or some sort of plastic bracket that can be screwed to the cage. I prefer the screw type as it can be easily removed/replaced if the probe malfunctions.

Hot glue can work, but heat, humidity, and time may cause it to fall off and a tstat probe is the last thing you want being out of place. I prefer only using hot glue for thermometer probes since they're not a huge deal if they are out of place due to not controlling the heat.

I also would not use the existing hole as Herpstat probes sometimes get data read errors if the probe cord is too close/side by side with electrical power cables for the heating device. If I remember right, the manual recommends keeping them at least a few inches apart as much as possible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (09-20-2019)

Thanks

Example in my carpet python's cage. The probe is higher off the ground since this is a 3 foot tall cage to help control his vertical gradient. In a T8, 2 inches off the floor works well. This was the only one I had a clear shot of set up

Thanks
    Ok I’ll modify and drill my own hole, where did you get your clips from? So 2” off substrate directly under rhp will be best?

Thanks

Ok I’ll modify and drill my own hole, where did you get your clips from? So 2” off substrate directly under rhp will be best?
    I used a spare one from a water system I had for my feeders, it's intended for holding hoses like misting systems have. You can probably find something similar at a hardware store. I don't know what the name of the part is, sorry.

Some people manage to mount directly under the panel, but I just hang it down the wall like in the picture (I never found an easy and effective way to suspend it, so can't advise on that haha).

Either against the wall or directly under the panel works if you test and adjust the temperatures first. Against the wall like mine will likely be set below the hot spot temperature since it will read ambient temperatures near the wall. I just use a IR Temp Gun to read the hot spot on the floor and adjust the thermostat settings accordingly. (So for me with my household temperatures, I can set the herpstat to 85 and when the probe reads 85, my hot spot below the panel is 88-89 and my cool end is 78-80)

Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 09-20-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Thanks
    Going to Home Depot to find that clip. Now if I hand it either on side wall or back wall by the RHP it won’t be technically directly under because the panel isn’t all the way to edges, that would be fine right?

Spyder robotics recommended to tape the probe directly on the panel, but I’m going do what is suggested here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12