Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

2 members and 2,880 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Step by step?

Thanks

Step by step?

[Please feel free to move /yell at me if this is the wrong place]

This is both my first snake and first post!

I just got a little pastel banana boa [named him Bowtie after danger noodle and how he balls up]

Obviously have left him alone for the two days since. Would it be good to sit with him for 15 / 20 minutes and just watch him so he gets used to me there? Until feeding day on thursday, leave him alone a day, and then from Saturday on have him explore my hands for 15/30 minutes and put him back?

Sorry if my question is long or stupid, I have completely fallen for this adorable creature and I want his transition to be a smooth as possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I highly recommend that you don't handle this snake until he's fed easily for you for 3 consecutive times (a week apart). A couple days isn't enough, &
    if you handle him before feeding, he may refuse to eat. I know he's adorable & you want to get to know him better, but snakes are instinctive creatures, & the only
    thing that picks them up in the wild is a predator about to eat them, so if you frighten him before he's had time to actually settle in, it just makes things harder-
    fear does not make for a good appetite in a snake, & his health should be your first priority. Just be patient...enjoy watching for a while...he'll be worth it. With good
    luck & good care, snakes can live a long time, but like us & other creatures, stress has a negative impact on their immune system.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-27-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-27-2019),Stewart_Reptiles (08-27-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Step by step?

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    [Please feel free to move /yell at me if this is the wrong place]

This is both my first snake and first post!

I just got a little pastel banana boa [named him Bowtie after danger noodle and how he balls up]

Obviously have left him alone for the two days since. Would it be good to sit with him for 15 / 20 minutes and just watch him so he gets used to me there? Until feeding day on thursday, leave him alone a day, and then from Saturday on have him explore my hands for 15/30 minutes and put him back?

Sorry if my question is long or stupid, I have completely fallen for this adorable creature and I want his transition to be a smooth as possible.

Are you sure its not a pastel Banana Ball Python? I just don't know of any banana boas....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-27-2019)

Thanks

Re: Step by step?

You are right, I meant to say python!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tato For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2019)