Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,386

1 members and 3,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

RI recovery time

We have just encountered our first RI with our Mystic BP. As soon as we noticed the bubbles and labored breathing we took her to the vet. He prescribed oral Baytril but I wasn’t comfortable with the dosage so we took her to another vet who did a culture and prescribed Baytril injections at a more reasonable dosage. We’ve now given her the 10th injection as of tonight and although there are no more nose bubbles she still occasionally has them at her mouth and she still makes noises when she breathes. She’s very active when we get her out and she still pounds the rats without hesitation. My question is how long till it’s done with or do I need to take her back to the vet.

I have a total of 20 ball pythons and my husbandry has been the same for all. I think she might have had the RI when I purchased her as we really noticed 1-2weeks after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    Coming to a new home is pretty stressful on a snake's immune system, so you're probably right that she "came with the infection". No way to know how long
    a cure will actually take though...snakes aren't all the same, neither are the pathogens they have to deal with, & just like with people, some fight infections better
    than others. You should check back with the vet if it's not cleared up completely when you're done with the prescribed course of antibiotics...some infections are
    resistant, unfortunately, & may need additional treatment.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-26-2019 at 10:19 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Champ299 (08-27-2019),Valyndris (09-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: RI recovery time

Thanks for the reply! I’m gonna give her a day or 2 and see how she does. She seems to be doing better as she is no longer keeping her head at an elevated position while in the tub and I haven’t heard her breathing the last couple of times that I’ve checked on her. I’ll more thoroughly check her tonight after supper etc.

Thanks

Re: RI recovery time

So we went back to the 3rd Vet. They gave her Fortaz and did not charge me for the visit as they made me an appointment to see another Vet. Supposedly this one is really good. we will see.