Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,189

0 members and 3,189 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Ball Python acting odd

So I have had my ball python for roughly 2 months (based off of the size they are still very young). When I purchased her she had mites from the pet store. It took time, but we got her cured of her mite problem using snake oil and reptile spray. I fed her three nights ago a hopper just because it was her first feed in forever and I wanted everything to go smoothly. I know it was too small, but I just wanted to ease back into it. The next day she was out and about looking for more food, so against my better judgement I gave her an adult mouse; she ate it up just fine. Tonight she is out and about looking for food again. I gave the benefit of the doubt and maybe she was just exploring, but when I opened the terrarium she was about ready to strike my hand; she is displaying feeding behavior again! Help! Is she okay? I have handled her a bunch and she was never aggressive, but now she is acting aggressive, and I don't know if it is because she is hungry or something else.

Thanks

Re: Ball Python acting odd

Sounds like she has gotten her appetite back which is a great thing! Don't feed her again for at least around a week though, to give her digestive system time to work on the mice she's already eaten. Some snakes (like mine) will stay in food mode for 24-48 hours after feeding especially if there are some prey smells lingering in the enclosure from previous feedings. I'd say she is just hungry, which is why she looks like she wants to strike you. She is probably very attracted to any kind of heat and movement because she wants to eat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I agree with Luvyna ^ ^ ^ ...she's just hungry (still in "feed mode") & you need to wait before any more feeding...she needs to digest one meal at a time, or you
    can cause a regurgitation. It's not really "aggression"...she doesn't literally want YOU, she's just being a snake, an ever optimistic hunter that's attracted to both
    your motion & body heat. Most of our pet snakes are very fussy eaters & are quickly repelled once they actually get our scent, but nips can happen by accident-
    by paying attention to a snake's body language, most bites are preventable or avoidable.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)