Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

2 members and 2,935 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Fluker's clamp lamp contains "chemicals that cause cancer and birth defects"?

I ordered a Fluker's 8.5'' clamp lamp dome as a new fixture for my BP's CHE. But I saw on the back of the box this strange message:

I have never seen this kind of warning on any product before, why would they even sell something like this? Obviously I wouldn't want anything like this close to me or my pets.

I read online that California requires a lot of manufacturers to put on this warning label as a standard warning even for products that are safe to use, but I still feel leery after seeing this. Any Californians able to shed some light on this?
    Last edited by Luvyna; 08-26-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's California everything is either against the law or causes cancer.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-26-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (09-12-2019),bcr229 (08-26-2019),Bodie (08-26-2019),Countach (08-31-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-28-2019),GoingPostal (08-29-2019),ladywhipple02 (08-28-2019),MasonC2K (08-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I'm a label-reader & I've seen this plenty of times on various products. I'm trying to remember the exact (CA gov't) website you can go to & look stuff up...you
    might also try contacting Fluker's & ask them specifically what the label is referring to? You might have to chew on the lamp to be harmed, or something?
    I do pay attention to all such warnings, & I'm glad you do to...just wish I knew what this specific one is referring to...off-hand, I don't.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: Fluker's clamp lamp contains "chemicals that cause cancer and birth defects"?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    It's California everything is either against the low or causes cancer.
    Actually, I'm glad that California is forward-thinking about this. Unfortunately, most of our country is backwards about this stuff, when you consider that many things
    still sold here have been banned for quite some time in Europe. I'll take science any day. If you just leave it up to manufacturers (whether it's drugs or household items),
    you'll find their priority is profit, not our health & safety. Once upon a time they thought asbestos was a great product, along with many other things that have proven to
    cause health problems, including death, when improper exposure occurred. Sellers of a product have a profit motive that directly conflicts with being upfront about risks.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-28-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Re: Fluker's clamp lamp contains "chemicals that cause cancer and birth defects"?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    I read online that California requires a lot of manufacturers to put on this warning label as a standard warning even for products that are safe to use, but I still feel leery after seeing this. Any Californians able to shed some light on this?
    as a former Californian i know this to be true. they even have similar warnings on the lil packs of red peppers and cheese that comes w/ delivery pizzas lol. my friend bought a car from California and had it shipped on a train or whatever and yep, the car came w/ a cancer warning sticker lol.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-27-2019),Countach (08-31-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-28-2019),MasonC2K (08-29-2019)

Thanks

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm a label-reader & I've seen this plenty of times on various products. I'm trying to remember the exact (CA gov't) website you can go to & look stuff up...you
    might also try contacting Fluker's & ask them specifically what the label is referring to? You might have to chew on the lamp to be harmed, or something?
    I do pay attention to all such warnings, & I'm glad you do to...just wish I knew what this specific one is referring to...off-hand, I don't.
    Contacting them is a good idea, I think I will do that. I did some more research and found that California now requires manufacturers to also state what specific carcinogenic chemical the product contains, which would be a lot more helpful than this vague and worrying message lol.

I also appreciate that they try to warn people, but I wonder if this has the unintended side effect of desensitizing people to these warnings judging by the responses here and the ones I've found online. At least listing the specific chemicals is an improvement so people can make choices if there's a specific chemical they want to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    as a former Californian i know this to be true. they even have similar warnings on the lil packs of red peppers and cheese that comes w/ delivery pizzas lol. my friend bought a car from California and had it shipped on a train or whatever and yep, the car came w/ a cancer warning sticker lol.
    Well... I guess our modern reality is that everything causes cancer...
    Last edited by Luvyna; 08-27-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Keep in mind.... There is always a reason for the lable.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-28-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-28-2019),MasonC2K (08-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    LOL

Contacting them is a good idea, I think I will do that. I did some more research and found that California now requires manufacturers to also state what specific carcinogenic chemical the product contains, which would be a lot more helpful than this vague and worrying message lol.

I also appreciate that they try to warn people, but I wonder if this has the unintended side effect of desensitizing people to these warnings judging by the responses here and the ones I've found online. At least listing the specific chemicals is an improvement so people can make choices if there's a specific chemical they want to avoid.

Well... I guess our modern reality is that everything causes cancer...
    Even the supposedly safe alternative to smoking ... vaping ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Keep in mind.... There is always a reason for the lable.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
    Hahahahahhaa!!! That's fantastic.

In the sue happy society we live in I feel like sometimes these warnings can go overboard, but for good reason.

I mean, do we really need to put a picture of a drowning infant on every 5 gallon bucket? Probably not. But as soon as some moron let's their kid drown in a bucket the company can't be sure.
    Obviously I'm talking apples and oranges here, but it seemed relevant.

I've said it many times... Common courtesy and common sense aren't all that common any more.

Thanks
    Just don't let your reptiles or kids eat the dome lamp and you should be fine.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast