Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,972

0 members and 1,972 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: ball python not eating

Quote Originally Posted by honeymoon View Post
    Update:

it’s been quite a long time since the last time I tried feeding him. Yesterday morning he was out of his rock (very unusual) and just sitting there motionless. He hissed at me when I looked at him and was in strike position. I thought for sure this would be the day he would eat so that evening I went to get a rat and he didn’t eat it. He stuck his head out and got close to it and then he hid again. I tried reheating it multiple times in hot water and still nothing
    Just be patient. Don't offer again for at least two weeks. And NO HANDLING the snake until he eats.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2019),Kodayin (09-26-2019)

Thanks

Update:

it’s been quite a long time since the last time I tried feeding him. Yesterday morning he was out of his rock (very unusual) and just sitting there motionless. He hissed at me when I looked at him and was in strike position. I thought for sure this would be the day he would eat so that evening I went to get a rat and he didn’t eat it. He stuck his head out and got close to it and then he hid again. I tried reheating it multiple times in hot water and still nothing
    A snake hissing at you and in strike position doesn't mean he is going to eat. He's being defensive and will more than likely mean he WON'T eat.. People all too often confuse "defensive behavior and position" with wanting to eat. In my experience all of my snakes never hiss before taking a meal... They smell it, locate it and strike it. Hatchlings will sometimes hiss and strike defensively and I know they are not ready (stressed) to eat or don't like what I am giving them. At that point there is no reason to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. Reheating a rodent multiple times and offering to a defensive snake is a waste of your time unfortunately.. Also, don't confuse "missing" with "striking.." I have an adult male who just has bad aim for whatever reason but he always locates it and pursues it. Sitting in the same position and striking and hissing at it the prey is totally different..

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-22-2019),Kodayin (09-26-2019)

Reptile Dysfunction
    Thanks
    We have one of ours snakes that doesn't strike at all. We leave it at the entrance of his hide and he takes it within 30 mins. He has eaten this way for over a month now. Does there "run" away if you offer to him. But leave it and then turn lights off and close door and he's fine. Takes it when he's ready. Never leave more than about an hour though. Try that and see if it works ..

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Just a subtle reminder to feed evenings, low/dim lighting and give the mouse/rat a ten second hot blast with a hairdryer - then offer INSTANTLY whilst still warm .

Note - my Royals will only strike from under their hides so dangle the warm food in the hide entrance..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Kodayin (09-26-2019)

Thanks

Update:

I don’t know if you answered this already, but what are you feeding him? (Size, etc)
    I would suggest trying a different size, and maybe even try scenting the prey before offering it to him (tuna juice works for picky hognoses so it may entice his smell too). Again wait a week as others said before trying again as to not stress him out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12