Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,121

2 members and 3,119 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Not shed yet?

Thanks

Not shed yet?

So my juvenile ball python went into blue 8 days ago, and she still hasn’t shed yet.. I’m a little worried, temps are good, 90 for the hot spot and 75-80 on the cool side. I’m been misting and I covered 3/4 of the tank lid with aluminum foil to help the humidity stay in, I’ve been keeping her water full and she has rough things to rub up against in her enclosure. But she hasn’t shed yet?? I don’t know if this is normal for such a small baby? She weighs around 90 g but was 68 g when I got her, I don’t know her exact age. I was wondering if this is normal or okay? This is her first shed she’s had since I got her and I’ve heard that a first shed in a new house can be bad. Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Nothing to worry about. Some shed quicker than others. Start to finish it can take up to about 2 weeks.

As long as your husbandry is right, which it seems it is, all you can do is wait. She'll shed when she's ready.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Stop worrying...snakes shed when they're ready to shed, & not before. It's a process, & there is no exact timetable: basically, they cloud up, then their bodies
    secrete a little moisture between the old & new skin, making them "go clear" (appear as if they may have already shed & you missed it, only you didn't), & then
    they finally shed the old skin. Be patient, keep the humidity up to help, & don't worry about it.

FYI, one thing that can slow their shed process is if they've been fed recently. That's because digestion requires good hydration, and so does shedding, so if your
    snake ends up trying to do both at once, it can slow down the time it takes to go clear & shed, or it can even "mess up the shed" (making the old skin stick & come
    off in pieces). Even if that's the case, there's nothing you can do other than provide good humidity & wait.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

isolatedaaron (08-26-2019)

Thanks

Re: Not shed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Stop worrying...snakes shed when they're ready to shed, & not before. It's a process, & there is no exact timetable: basically, they cloud up, then their bodies
    secrete a little moisture between the old & new skin, making them "go clear" (appear as if they may have already shed & you missed it, only you didn't), & then
    they finally shed the old skin. Be patient, keep the humidity up to help, & don't worry about it.

FYI, one thing that can slow their shed process is if they've been fed recently. That's because digestion requires good hydration, and so does shedding, so if your
    snake ends up trying to do both at once, it can slow down the time it takes to go clear & shed, or it can even "mess up the shed" (making the old skin stick & come
    off in pieces). Even if that's the case, there's nothing you can do other than provide good humidity & wait.
    Thank you so much, my girlfriend kept giving me crap cuz I was worrying she was fed 10 days ago because when she was due to be fed again she went into blue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    A little worrying means you care...that's not really a bad thing, but don't lose sleep over it either.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)