Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,872

2 members and 2,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Giving calcium to your beardie

My little fella is roughly around 4 months old and has a great appetite.There is only one small problem
    and that is he does not like it when I sprinkle calcium powder on his salad and or bugs. As anyone encountered this with their beadie? Are there any tips or tricks that can be done in getting him to eat his food with the calcium on it?

What about liquid calcium? Could that be given to him with a syringe? Or, I did see at Petsmart that the brand "Flukers" had a strawberry/banana favored calcium power but without D3.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Giving calcium to your beardie

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    My little fella is roughly around 4 months old and has a great appetite.There is only one small problem
    and that is he does not like it when I sprinkle calcium powder on his salad and or bugs. As anyone encountered this with their beadie? Are there any tips or tricks that can be done in getting him to eat his food with the calcium on it?

What about liquid calcium? Could that be given to him with a syringe? Or, I did see at Petsmart that the brand "Flukers" had a strawberry/banana favored calcium power but without D3.... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    My beardie would not eat any salads with calcium supplement on it.

I would not use any calcium supplement without D3 for beardies. They need it.

Try feeding the insects using forceps. The first 2-3, use without the calcium. This should get him into a food mode where he just starts eating without hesitating. Then feed him the ones powdered in calcium. You don't need to coat them so full of powder, just enough to cover the bug. A baby like yours only needs calcium plus D3 supplement every other day, so you can give him the salad daily without the supplement and only supplement on the insect feeders every other day along with multivitamin (2× a week). Too much calcium is just as bad as too little.

Most importantly are your lights. Make sure you have strong UVB lights, like a Reptisun T5 10.0 (fluorescent) if the fixture is outside the mesh or T8 for inside the tank.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (08-26-2019)