Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,517

5 members and 2,512 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Unhappy Temperature problems...AGAIN

Hi all! I’ve had my Bp (male, 1y, 600g) for about 8 months now. I’ve been struggling with his temperature a lot inside the terrarium. I’ve tried everything from CHE’s to overhead bulbs to heat mats of all different wattages but nothing seems to work. The problem is his cool side is far too cool but I can’t find a way to heat up that side without overheating the hot side. Right now I’ve got a UTH under on the hot side, and a 50watt white bulb on top, a little closer to the middle of the terrarium, running on a 12hr cycle. During the day the hot side will get around 93-94° which is way too hot but the cool side will come up to 78-79° so he will hang out on the cool side mostly and then at night when the heat lamp is off, his hot side will even out to 88-90° in the hide but the rest of the terrarium drops down to around 75-76°. He seems to be doing alright he’s eating well, sheds nicely, and is quite active. What got me concerned is I noticed him being a lot more active at night climbing things etc. I thought this was great at first but then noticed him poking his head around the top of his terrarium and sometimes along the glass. I’m wondering if he’s uncomfortable in his home and is trying to get out but I’m not sure if that’s because of the temperature or maybe he’s getting to big for the tank it’s all just very confusing. Should I be worried? Is this behavior normal? Is there a way to balance out my heating equipment so that it stays steadily at 78-80 on the cool side and 88-90 on the hot? I’ll attach some images so you can get a better idea. Thank you all for the help I love how supportive the reptile community is!

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Temperature problems...AGAIN

Do you have thermostats running the CHE and UTH? If so: where are the probes positioned?

Any which way-you could simply put a towel draped over the top of the cage on the cold side (to prevent the heat from the CHE escaping through the screen top). Or you could get fancy and actually cut some insulation board and tape it to the outside of the cold side of the enclosure: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Project-...-PP1/203553730 you would get the added benefit that obscuring visibility on part of the enclosure would add a sense of security for the snake by making it less 'exposed' in an open area.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-25-2019),Bogertophis (08-25-2019),Pgoodman (08-26-2019)

Thanks

Where are your temperature probes located and what are you using to guage temp. Try putting tinfoil over 3/4 of your mesh top with 100% of that over the cool side. That should bring your temperatures up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Do you have thermostats running the CHE and UTH? If so: where are the probes positioned?
    The answers to these two questions are important.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (08-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,798 Times in 11,829 Posts
    As already noted, strategically applied "insulation" will help the warmth stay where you need it IN the cage. You can insulate the back & sides too, besides the top.

One more thing, & it's important: in your last photo, it appears your tank is resting on an electrical cord. This breaks down the cord over time, causing failure & an
    unsafe home for your snake. I strongly suggest you buy some hi-density foam rubber weather-stripping from the nearest hardware store A.S.A.P.- it comes rolled
    flat in different sizes, you want .5" thick & .5 wide (or close to that). It's easy to use, peel & stick (one side is sticky), cut to right lengths with scissors. Put your
    tank up on "blocks" temporarily, & apply the weather-stripping to all the bottom edges of your tank, leaving 2 gaps (of about 1.5-2" each) on opposite sides, for
    your cords to emerge AND for the UTH to "breathe" (for safety, so it's not over-heating & as instructed by UTH manufacturers). This weather-stripping WILL help
    seal in the warmth under your tank, while protecting your cords...AND will make your tank very resistant to sliding (being accidentally pushed or sliding as when &
    IF you ever have an earthquake...believe me, I'm from So. Cal. & this worked monumentally well for my glass tanks when I resided there & went thru large quakes).
    This weather-stripping has a very small price-tag too, btw...it's a win-win-win.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Pgoodman (08-26-2019)

Thanks

I’m going to try insulating the cold side. They are not controlled by a thermometer but I have two probes one on each side. I also have been measuring surface temps with an infrared thermometer.

Thanks

As mentioned its hard to keep heat and humidity in a glass tank with mesh top. Insulating will definitely help you with that. BUT you 100% need a thermostat to control the heat sources. Get a thermostat ASAP! That along with the insulating tips is gonna make you and your snake a lot happier!
    Last edited by cfd701; 08-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cfd701 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pgoodman View Post
    I’m going to try insulating the cold side. They are not controlled by a thermometer but I have two probes one on each side. I also have been measuring surface temps with an infrared thermometer.
    How are you adjusting the UTH without a thermostat?
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (08-26-2019)

Thanks
    Your life will be much easier if you switch the snake over to a tub it'll hold heat, humidity, etc much better than a tank will and its half the work.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Temperature problems...AGAIN

Are we believing this is a genuine person / query ???

12 posts in 9 months .

First post fitting ‘the pattern’ ..

Still no thermostats and still referring to stats as thermometers..

(Quote- “They are not controlled by a thermometer “)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-26-2019 at 05:06 PM.