Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,979

1 members and 2,978 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Scrub Python Enclosure Progress Thread

Building an enclosure for my jayapura scrub python.

Its 4x2x3 made out of plywood, 2x2s, and one 2x6 (for the substrate tray).

This is my first woodworking project really, so it is far from perfect, and I've wanted to give up a few times, but here it is.

The bottom frame:

Plywood put together:

Stained:

Inside epoxyed and vents installed:

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll see if I can find a picture with my blueprints.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bodie (08-24-2019),dakski (12-16-2019),EL-Ziggy (08-24-2019),Gio (08-27-2019),Kam (12-16-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (08-30-2019)

Thanks

Re: Scrub Python Enclosure Progress Thread

Well done. Looks like you did a good job. Your python will love it. Watch out though one completed project leads to 3 in the works.
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Super Pastel Lesser Ball Python
    1.0 Pastel Bamboo Ball Python
    0.0.1 Halmahera Blue Tongue Skink
    0.0.2 Crested Gecko
    1.2.Guinea Pigs
    1.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Toad
    0.1 Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.2 Cats

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gunkle For This Useful Post:

wnateg (08-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunkle View Post
    Well done. Looks like you did a good job. Your python will love it. Watch out though one completed project leads to 3 in the works.
    Well I'm only halfway done. I'm gonna do the inside up real nice.

I'm not sure if I'll build one from scratch again. The wood was so expensive, so it wasnt really worth it. I only built it because AP has center brace, which obstructs the view.

I do have enough left over wood to probably build a 4x2x2 or so, so I'll probably do that, but man it was so much work.

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    -----

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

gunkle (08-27-2019)

Thanks
    Cut some branches down. Need to trim them down to fit, but they should look pretty good.

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    -----

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bodie (08-27-2019),gunkle (08-27-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (08-30-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Hey,

Good on you for making something special. It looks great so far. I'm not sure how large your scubbie is going to get but I know they are very arboreal.

Don't be too concerned about the separator in the AP cage should you decide to go larger. I have a custom built Pro-Line cage that is 6' wide x 30" deep and 2 feet tall for my reticulated python. It is a double cage and there is a separator between the doors. My guy is SD and dwarf with just a little mainland in him. These guys are very arboreal as well.

I think scrubs and retics have similar habits. Scrubs are probably even more arboreal.

Arboreal options make for great display opportunities.

AP makes a great cage. Now that Pro-Line is finished with the cage bizz, I'd go AP without question.

Congrats on the scrub python. El Ziggy is a good source of info if you have scrub questions.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-28-2019),Kam (12-16-2019),wnateg (08-27-2019)

Thanks
    Damn, I didn't know retics left the ground like that. Very interesting.

I would probably feel like going AP if I was going for more length, but I plan on doing a whole custom bioactive thing, plants and :cens0r::cens0r::cens0r::cens0r:; I just wasnt sure about anything obstructing it.

I was looking at http://pvccages.com/ but then I read about the sag and they dont even have 3' tall.

And yea, El Ziggy has been a great help trying to get my scrub to warm up to me.

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    -----

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-28-2019),Team Slytherin (08-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,487 Times in 2,686 Posts

I have AP cages with the shelves installed and I love them. I really wish I could get some help with better decorating them though. Mine are pretty basic. I LOVE Gio's enclosures and yours looks and sounds like it's going to turn out really well too OP. I just don't have that talent for interior design.

As far as scrubs being arboreal, my male is about 50/50. He usually hides during the day and will rest on his perch most nights. Some nights he'll keep his entire body in his hide with just his head out. He's also not overly active. He really only moves around when he's hungry. His behavior reminds me a lot of my carpets. Most of them just sit out in the open perched and waiting for food. They very rarely roam their enclosures. My coastal carpet and olive python are the two most active pythons that I keep.

His temperament seems similar to that of some retics I've heard about. He's pretty cage defensive but he mellows out quickly once you get him out of his enclosure. I use gloves and a hook every time I take him out and I rarely take him out if he's perched inside his enclosure. He's very quick to strike if you get too close to him, and if he's out and about in his viv that's just a fight waiting to happen so I try to pick my battles wisely.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

wnateg (08-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    I have AP cages with the shelves installed and I love them. I really wish I could get some help with better decorating them though. Mine are pretty basic. I LOVE Gio's enclosures and yours looks and sounds like it's going to turn out really well too OP. I just don't have that talent for interior design.

As far as scrubs being arboreal, my male is about 50/50. He usually hides during the day and will rest on his perch most nights. Some nights he'll keep his entire body in his hide with just his head out. He's also not overly active. He really only moves around when he's hungry. His behavior reminds me a lot of my carpets. Most of them just sit out in the open perched and waiting for food. They very rarely roam their enclosures. My coastal carpet and olive python are the two most active pythons that I keep.

His temperament seems similar to that of some retics I've heard about. He's pretty cage defensive but he mellows out quickly once you get him out of his enclosure. I use gloves and a hook every time I take him out and I rarely take him out if he's perched inside his enclosure. He's very quick to strike if you get too close to him, and if he's out and about in his viv that's just a fight waiting to happen so I try to pick my battles wisely.
    Yea, the decorating is my favorite part. I actually got back into snakes because I wanted to make a terrarium and needed something to put in it. But now I'm in love.

I read that scrubs tend to lay on a perch, not droop like an ETB, so I'm trying to have those thick branches to accommodate that. My ETB is so active; I woke up this morning and she knocked over every bromiliad I had attached to the walls. She is hungry though.

I hope my scrub will perch to make full use of the cage. If not, I may order like a 6' x 2' AP when she gets bigger, but we will see.

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    -----

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Yea, the decorating is my favorite part. I actually got back into snakes because I wanted to make a terrarium and needed something to put in it. But now I'm in love.

I read that scrubs tend to lay on a perch, not droop like an ETB, so I'm trying to have those thick branches to accommodate that. My ETB is so active; I woke up this morning and she knocked over every bromiliad I had attached to the walls. She is hungry though.

I hope my scrub will perch to make full use of the cage. If not, I may order like a 6' x 2' AP when she gets bigger, but we will see.
    She’ll definitely make use of all the branches you can give her! Makes it more difficult to remove them from the enclosure, but they do love to perch. I’ve found my boy perching on the smallest piece of chord coming off his day light. Would’ve thought it impossible, but I think he likes it because he knows I can’t pull him off it 😂

Recently had to swap his 3 ft high enclosure for a 2 footer and I definitely notice decreased activity and more hiding. With 3 feet of height, he was perched 70-80% of the time. Hopefully, I’ll be able to upgrade him again soon so he can climb more.

Can’t wait to see your pretty girl in her new setup! Also, though her parents may have come been exported from Jayapura, she definitely looks Wamena from the photos. Once she settles, it might be interesting to experiment with slightly cooler temperatures and see if that affects her temperament at all. Wamenas are a race from the central highland mountains and generally experience cooler temps that change with the seasons, rather than year-round warmth like most of PNG.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

wnateg (08-28-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Team Slytherin View Post
    She’ll definitely make use of all the branches you can give her! Makes it more difficult to remove them from the enclosure, but they do love to perch. I’ve found my boy perching on the smallest piece of chord coming off his day light. Would’ve thought it impossible, but I think he likes it because he knows I can’t pull him off it ��

Recently had to swap his 3 ft high enclosure for a 2 footer and I definitely notice decreased activity and more hiding. With 3 feet of height, he was perched 70-80% of the time. Hopefully, I’ll be able to upgrade him again soon so he can climb more.

Can’t wait to see your pretty girl in her new setup! Also, though her parents may have come been exported from Jayapura, she definitely looks Wamena from the photos. Once she settles, it might be interesting to experiment with slightly cooler temperatures and see if that affects her temperament at all. Wamenas are a race from the central highland mountains and generally experience cooler temps that change with the seasons, rather than year-round warmth like most of PNG.
    That's good to know.

Based on this thread https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/foru...ocalities.html she does not look like the jayapura, but I don't know enough to say either way.

I bought a night vision camera that's coming tomorrow, so I can record if she's coming out of her hide, as I have not seen her out for a week or so. So if she doesn't calm down enough to eat, I'm not sure when I'll be able to move her, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    Last edited by wnateg; 08-28-2019 at 05:32 PM.

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----