Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,957

0 members and 1,957 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: UTH probe

Thanks

UTH probe

I hate to beat a dead horse and I know this has been covered a million times but I’m conflicted on whether to put the thermo probe sandwiched between the uth and pvc or beneath it. I got thg heat tape. I got double sided tape so it adheres nicely to the bottom. My problem is that I’ve read that the probe should ideally be sandwiched but it creates a ridiculous gap and I’m guessing the heat will be inconsistent due to that.
    I’m all about doing the very best and I’ve done loads of research but I think I would prefer to put the probe beneath. I would also like to use foam to insulate under the tape and probe but I’m pretty sure in the instructions it specified leaving and air gap. Anyone with experience with both methods or experience with foam beneath heat tape please give advice. Will be attaching it tomorrow and only want to do it once and done. Thanks in advance

Thanks

Re: UTH probe

Your research is correct... the probe goes between the UTH and the cage bottom. Some cage vendors (like RBI) use a router to cut a groove in the cage bottom so that the UTH lies flat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to larryd23 For This Useful Post:

Jackinthabox (08-23-2019)

Thanks

I like that idea! I could do that. I would hate to flex the tape around the probe. It just doesn’t seem right the way it sits. I would have to do it tediously by hand though because it’s fully set up with a snakes inside and I don’t want to be loud.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I would use foil tape to adhere the uth better. The stickiness on them is terrible. I'm not sure I'm picturing the foam idea correctly, but that doesn't sound like a great plan. Also because the probe is between, you may need to set the temperature a little higher than you think. Use a temp gun to double check on the inside.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I would use foil tape to adhere the uth better. The stickiness on them is terrible. I'm not sure I'm picturing the foam idea correctly, but that doesn't sound like a great plan. Also because the probe is between, you may need to set the temperature a little higher than you think. Use a temp gun to double check on the inside.
    I have about 1/2 clearance under my enclosure so i was thinking enclosure-uth-probe taped to bottom- 1/2 or 1/4 rigid foam under that to insulate the probe. I might try creating a groove because I would really like the tape to be evenly touching the bottom.