Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,903

0 members and 2,903 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

So -- thanks to a supreme moment of weakness while I was at the Reptile Super Show in Pomona 2 weeks ago -- I brought home my second boa considerably sooner than I ever anticipated. With the total at 2 BPs and 2 boa imperators now, I'm pretty happy with the balance and fully intend for this boy to be my last snake (but I know we've all heard THAT one before, ha).

At just shy of 2 months old (born on June 29, 2019), he's hardly ready for a big name like "Requiem" yet ... so everyone, meet "Q."

Likely due to his young age, Q is noticeably sassier than my yearling, Genesis. While it's cute and amusing to witness all the vocal blustering at his current size, I've been gentle but firm with his handling sessions, and he's already becoming significantly more tolerant over the past couple of weeks.
    Ball Pythons:
    2018 Cinnamon Enchi Ghost - Ignis ("Iggy")
    2018 Butter Mojave BEL - Ravus ("Rae")
    2022 Albino Super Lesser - Cyrus ("Cy")

Boa Imperator:
    2018 Hypo Blood - Genesis ("Gen")
    2019 IMG Motley - Requiem ("Q")
    2019 Sharp Blizzard - Elysium ("Elys")

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/iggy_and_rae

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogertophis (08-23-2019),cletus (10-13-2019),dakski (08-23-2019),DazedHaus (08-25-2019),EL-Ziggy (08-23-2019),Jboyzboas (08-23-2019),jmcrook (08-23-2019),Jus1More (08-25-2019),Kam (08-24-2019),ladywhipple02 (08-27-2019),Luvyna (10-13-2019),richardhind1972 (08-24-2019),stealthk7gsxr (01-31-2021),Toad37 (08-23-2019),wnateg (08-23-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Pretty cute, your little "Q"...and don't worry, we NEVER had you figured for any sort of self-control... Some call it RAS, by the way...that stands for "reptile
    acquisition syndrome" & it can take years, even decades to recover from, and some of us never do.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (08-24-2019),richardhind1972 (08-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    Looks sick!
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (08-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Requiem ... or just "Q" for now (2019 IMG Motley het CA T+)

Awesome looking Boa!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (08-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

He could be sassy because of his age, but I've also heard some morphs are a little more defensive than others. Richardhind1972 on here has an IMG that took a while to calm down. I believe she was older when he got her though.

Let him settle in and then work with him and he should mellow out. Katie is not a fan of defensive animals (not that I am either - all my animals are kid friendly and can handled by anyone with supervision, except for Toref who is a flight risk, not a biter). Both boas I have I had the breeders assure me that they were docile animals but great feeders.

When I got Behira, I wanted a sunglow, but was working with a local breeder who had kept her as a holdback and said she was the calmest female he had and she was a little older and established. She's gorgeous, but far from a sunglow. She has been an awesome snake, but I have hook trained her, Feliz, and Yafe - my carpet python. All are aggressive eaters and I took one food strike from Behira early on and that was enough. She's been hook trained since and we have had zero incidents. She was only 500G when she nailed me, and I was no worse for the wear, but she drew blood and it scared the crap out of Katie.

If you have questions on hook training, I have a thread on here I can send the link to. It will pay dividends as they grow.

I had to put a drape up for Behira because she often struck the acrylic doors when I walked by at night. Not good for her. Many of my animals are nocturnal and I feed at night. The drape keeps her calm. Feliz has been striking the acrylic too, so I might need one for him as well. I like having them as display snakes, as they are often out and about, but don't want any jaw or teeth issues. Behira bent a tooth early on, and it luckily fell out on its own next feeding, but her health comes before showing her off in her tank.

People who haven't met Behira or Feliz get nervous when I tell them I've hook trained them and need to let them know food isn't coming. However, once out and about, they are the calmest and most inquisitive snakes I have. Many people do not understand the difference between a food strike and a defensive strike. When Behira nailed my arm hoping for a rat, she let go right away and was like, "sorry Dad. I was hoping for food." I picked her right up and she was chill as can be.

Anyway, coming from BP's, boas are crazy feeders who strike hard and are garbage disposals. Not picky at all. However, even though that's awesome, that they rarely skip a meal, it means hook training makes sense. Better to do it when they are young and before they can do damage.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2019),DazedHaus (08-25-2019),RedRabbit (08-24-2019),richardhind1972 (08-24-2019)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Very nice indeed, nice and dark already
    My img was extremely sassy, she hissed and spit the whole two hr drive, sounded like a gas leak, she was 1 when I got her and had been in a breeder rack so probably only been handled around cleaning.
    Any way took a fair while to win her round and tap train her, still get the odd huff off her if she's in she'd and I haven't realised and go to get her but not been nipped by her in yrs, she's a pleasure to have out now, even tho she's hold on for dear life.
    So time and patience with him and showing him your not going to hurt him and the difference between food and playtime with some hook/tap training is a definite must as dakski already discussed in the above thread
    Have fun and post plenty of pics

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 08-24-2019 at 03:26 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richardhind1972 For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (08-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Pretty cute, your little "Q"...and don't worry, we NEVER had you figured for any sort of self-control... Some call it RAS, by the way...that stands for "reptile
    acquisition syndrome" & it can take years, even decades to recover from, and some of us never do.
    You wound me, Bogertophis!! Alright, alright, how about putting it this way - I will at least be putting any snake acquisition on hold for the next 6 months, because with two new boas, I've officially run out of any further quarantine space to keep everybody safely separated.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-12-2019),richardhind1972 (08-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    You wound me, Bogertophis!! Alright, alright, how about putting it this way - I will at least be putting any snake acquisition on hold for the next 6 months, because with two new boas, I've officially run out of any further quarantine space to keep everybody safely separated.
    Aw, don't take it so hard...it's just that we've all seen (or been IN) this movie before. And we KNOW how they just follow us home too...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (08-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    He could be sassy because of his age, but I've also heard some morphs are a little more defensive than others. Richardhind1972 on here has an IMG that took a while to calm down. I believe she was older when he got her though.

Let him settle in and then work with him and he should mellow out. Katie is not a fan of defensive animals (not that I am either - all my animals are kid friendly and can handled by anyone with supervision, except for Toref who is a flight risk, not a biter). Both boas I have I had the breeders assure me that they were docile animals but great feeders.

When I got Behira, I wanted a sunglow, but was working with a local breeder who had kept her as a holdback and said she was the calmest female he had and she was a little older and established. She's gorgeous, but far from a sunglow. She has been an awesome snake, but I have hook trained her, Feliz, and Yafe - my carpet python. All are aggressive eaters and I took one food strike from Behira early on and that was enough. She's been hook trained since and we have had zero incidents. She was only 500G when she nailed me, and I was no worse for the wear, but she drew blood and it scared the crap out of Katie.

If you have questions on hook training, I have a thread on here I can send the link to. It will pay dividends as they grow.

I had to put a drape up for Behira because she often struck the acrylic doors when I walked by at night. Not good for her. Many of my animals are nocturnal and I feed at night. The drape keeps her calm. Feliz has been striking the acrylic too, so I might need one for him as well. I like having them as display snakes, as they are often out and about, but don't want any jaw or teeth issues. Behira bent a tooth early on, and it luckily fell out on its own next feeding, but her health comes before showing her off in her tank.

People who haven't met Behira or Feliz get nervous when I tell them I've hook trained them and need to let them know food isn't coming. However, once out and about, they are the calmest and most inquisitive snakes I have. Many people do not understand the difference between a food strike and a defensive strike. When Behira nailed my arm hoping for a rat, she let go right away and was like, "sorry Dad. I was hoping for food." I picked her right up and she was chill as can be.

Anyway, coming from BP's, boas are crazy feeders who strike hard and are garbage disposals. Not picky at all. However, even though that's awesome, that they rarely skip a meal, it means hook training makes sense. Better to do it when they are young and before they can do damage.
    You make some excellent points. I would actually love to have the link to your thread on hook training. I bought a snake hook back when I got Iggy, my first BP, but with just one and later two very mellow BPs for a long while, the hook never saw any use and has just been collecting dust. Now may finally be the time for it to come in handy. Both my boas are male with Central American contributors to their genetics, so they may not be getting as big as some other boas at adult size, but I can already tell that they have a lot more strength and power, in proportion to their size, compared to the BPs, so it'll be important to have them well-trained early on.

That mental image of apologetic Behira though - awww!

I've definitely already seen the evidence of that enthusiastic feeding. (And it's a joy, compared to the perpetually iffy BPs, haha.) During feeding night this week, Q was dangling from a high branch in his enclosure, and didn't seem to want to come down anytime soon even after I waited another hour. So I offered his f/t mouse, and he just grabbed and devoured it in midair while still hanging from the branch like a piece of laundry. Zero qualms, zero hesitation.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-24-2019),dakski (08-24-2019),richardhind1972 (08-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Very nice indeed, nice and dark already
    My img was extremely sassy, she hissed and spit the whole two hr drive, sounded like a gas leak, she was 1 when I got her and had been in a breeder rack so probably only been handled around cleaning.
    Any way took a fair while to win her round and tap train her, still get the odd huff off her if she's in she'd and I haven't realised and go to get her but not been nipped by her in yrs, she's a pleasure to have out now, even tho she's hold on for dear life.
    So time and patience with him and showing him your not going to hurt him and the difference between food and playtime with some hook/tap training is a definite must as dakski already discussed in the above thread
    Have fun and post plenty of pics

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    He's still got a little bit of dark gray pattern on him, but he's so dark-colored overall and his scales are so shiny/reflective that it's hard to capture the pattern on camera. The breeder at the show had an "older brother" of Q on display - exact same morph combo, produced by the same breeding pair during the 2018 season - and he was already solid jet black with some really spectacular iridescence (and a really spectacular price tag to go with him, oof), so that seems like a good indication of what Q will look like as he gets older as well.

My goodness, your IMG (Medusa, right? she's gorgeous!) sounds like she used to be a spitfire, haha. You've done some great work with her. Q actually hasn't been all that bad, all things considered. He had the toughest time on day 1. My mother, with loving intentions, waved goodbye to him while he was still in his plastic deli cup before I took him back to my apartment, but the motion from above frightened him, so he started hissing and huffing up a storm for several minutes until he was settled in the darkness of the car and I started driving. It's remarkable how loud the sound can be coming out of such a small body, haha. I've gotten the huffing and puffing a couple more times since then, usually when I have to pull him out of his tub to clean up a mess he made, but only for a few seconds. I typically just keep a cautious eye on his positioning but otherwise give no reaction to the display, and he'll settle down very quickly and start peering around while still sitting on my hand.
    Ball Pythons:

Boa Imperator:

Iggy&Rae on Instagram:

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RedRabbit For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (08-24-2019)

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast