Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,092

1 members and 1,091 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Ball python not using hide or eating

I have had this ball python for about a year now and he’s always been a good eater and has pretty much been in his hide everyday all day until recently now his personality seems to have switched he seems basically not interested in food at all he doesn’t push but he seems to want to get out of his tub he pokes his nose all over like he’s looking for a way out. He sits on top of his hide and crawls around and knocks his water bowl over which is very unusual for him I would expect this out of some of my other snakes but not him. The temps are at 90 degrees on hotspot and his substrate is wet at the moment because he is knocking his water bowl over recently. Not sure if I should be concerned or if it’s just him being stubborn I thought maybe he is just sick of rats and I have some spare mice but I don’t know if I should attempt that yet he’s only missed about 21 days. Any advice?

Thanks

Re: Ball python not using hide or eating

Quote Originally Posted by Kaysreptiles View Post
    I have had this ball python for about a year now and he’s always been a good eater and has pretty much been in his hide everyday all day until recently now his personality seems to have switched he seems basically not interested in food at all he doesn’t push but he seems to want to get out of his tub he pokes his nose all over like he’s looking for a way out. He sits on top of his hide and crawls around and knocks his water bowl over which is very unusual for him I would expect this out of some of my other snakes but not him. The temps are at 90 degrees on hotspot and his substrate is wet at the moment because he is knocking his water bowl over recently. Not sure if I should be concerned or if it’s just him being stubborn I thought maybe he is just sick of rats and I have some spare mice but I don’t know if I should attempt that yet he’s only missed about 21 days. Any advice?
    You have any other snakes (females) around him? If nothing has changed with his husbandry and his set up is the same I wouldn't imagine it's his care taking. I have had males (breeding size) get a little spun up when breeding season comes around but never go off food. Most of the time they just turn into bulldozers and re-arrange their set up. If the snake has good weight, I would just let him be and try and feed him every week as usual..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moose84 For This Useful Post:

MattEvans (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    My male lavender het pied has been out cruising everynight. My other 3 are all females with only one of them an adult. So he could be looking for a mate. Next week im picking up a male fire calico orange dream and i am curious if he will act the same way.

Thanks
    If his enclosure hasn't changed he might be going on a fast, a lot of ball pythons do this for the winter season, it can last a few months to even 8 months. As long as he isn't losing weight he should be okay, still keep trying to feed him every week. I have to ask, does he have a cold side at around 80 degrees with a hide? He may be looking for a cool place to hide. If he is active at night that is very normal and he just wants to explore.