Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,845

1 members and 2,844 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snake mites

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can you describe the mite that fell off? Size, shape, color?
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Ok I’ve read your two threads. We can definitely help u but let’s start at the basics. What all do u have in your tank? Like everything, don’t leave out any details. After that I’ll chime in and help u. If I have to mail u some spray I will but we need some details first.

also plz drop the attitude, it may seem like people are attacking u but we are here for the animals, not the owners feelings. U have been through a lot in the last week so take a deep breath and answer some questions.

One question i do have that’s related is when u say his favorite rock. What kind of rock are we talking about? A heated one??
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

Thanks
    If all yall deciding to rag on OP would learn how to read, they got a replacement for the one that died from the pet store they got them from.

As for mites. There is a lot of debate out there about what is useful and what is harmful. Chemically, Provent-a-mite is considered the safest option. However, it is really expensive, and the chemical makeup is the exact same as stuff on the shelves like Rid spray for head lice (found in pharmacy at Walmart.)

To use it, you must completely clean out the enclosure to the best of your ability. Use only soap and water, or if you want a disinfectant, rinse really well afterwards or use something like Chlorhexadine.

Before the next step, ensure the snake is in a separate room that is unlikely to get fumes from the spray. DO NOT DIRECTLY SPRAY THE SNAKE!

Spray the inside of the tank lightly on all surfaces, holding the can 8-10 inches away from the glass where possible. Go for even coverage. Spray the outside of the tank as well, as mites can travel pretty far away.

Let dry for a few hours or until it is definitely no longer wet. Use a dry paper towel and wipe off any excess film on the inside of the tank.

Use clean, unused paper towel for substrate, and use a bowl too small for them to soak in. Larger bowels result in wet paper towel more often. This could result in your snake being exposed to the anti-mite chemical In Provent-a-mite. Soaking in a waterbowl is a sign of mites, but it isn't exactly an effective treatment.

Make sure you have non-porous, plastic hides. Lightly spray these with PAM when you spray the tank. Wipe them down when dry. DO NOT spray the waterbowl or have the waterbowl in the same room as where you are spraying the chemical.

While you wait for all this to dry, go to your snake. Use basic GermX, no additives. Make sure you are in a warm room and the snake has someplace warm to go immediately after you treat them. Wipe the snake down with the germX. Avoid the head. Do not apply GermX to the head! Wipe from the neck down, and the mites will be killed and fall off the snake. Do this germX procedure whenever you have visible live mites on the snake. Mites near the eyes and heat pits should be removed very gently with your finger.

Tank should be recleaned when dirty or once every 1-3 weeks. The PAM should be reapplied every 2-3 weeks.

The clothes you wear while handling your snake should be taken off after you are done and you should shower as well. Clothes need to go through a laundry cycle to be sure they are free of mites.

Snake should be kept on paper towel and in "mite procedure" until mites are confirmed gone. Generally, this means that after 30 days of not seeing a mite, wait an additional 60-90 days.

The mite life cycle allows eggs to survive 90 days before hatching.
    Last edited by Ranulf; 08-22-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Snake mites

Quote Originally Posted by Ranulf View Post
    If all yall deciding to rag on OP would learn how to read, they got a replacement for the one that died from the pet store they got them from.
    Thanks, we got that. Maybe you could teach me to read now?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-22-2019),wnateg (08-22-2019),Zincubus (08-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Snake mites

Quote Originally Posted by Ranulf View Post

Well as regards misreading things - in my defence I’m a dyslexic Aspergers sooooooooo ... plus his post is nearly as long as yours - so I get easily distracted . .. it’s below to refresh your memory ..

... I’m also getting tired of all the wind up merchants wasting our time . Maybe he’s /she’s genuine but as I’ve already said ~ taking a hatchling snake out on an errand - resulting in the poor thing dying what sounds like a horrible death and then days later the replacement snake appears to have mites that DROP off it ... well ...

Quote Originally Posted by BV2 View Post
    Hey guys my 4month old ball python died two days ago suddenly. I am a first time owner and I’m curious as to what might have happened to him.

Before he passed when everything seemed normal to me I had got back from an errand with him and he pooped and peed while we were out the first time he did it was Fine but as I took him to wipe him I noticed he had watery brown poop all over himself. When we got back home I put it in It’s terrarium on his favorite rock humidity 60-70ish and temperature between 80-85. It just rolls over on its backside as if it needed Help flipping over. I then picked it up And laid it in Properly and instead of it going into his favorite rock he just stayed in front of it on the substrate. I thought everything was normal as he didn’t show any symptoms of anything. I left the room for about 15minutes to eat. I came back and he had a mouth full of substrate and was rolling his head back, I looked up “the wobble” and it seemed similar to what he was doin except he looked like he had it worse, his top head was literally almost touching his back.

My boyfriend then picked it up And it stopped. I immediately got as much dirty out as I could. I also took it to The bathroom to the sink in a little cooler than Luke warm water let him sit in it hoping to get the rest of the little bit it had left in its mouth. It seemed Fine for a little bit but when I took it out And set him down his neck would be a different direction from his body. Then all of a sudden his head would flop back he did it about twice this whole time I was looking up what could have caused this and all I got was wobble and corkscrew. He didn’t show any of the symptoms but the neck roll and that was the first time he’s ever done it. I’ve never caught him stargazing or anything He are fine once skipped a week of eating but after that it was Okay. But anyway I then took him from the bathroom into my room laid him on his back to see if he would flip on his own, he didn’t. He was so still not stiff but as like he had no energy or interest in moving. He would slither a little bit normally and he hadn’t did the head movement all night after that.

I was kinda worried as if I knew something was going to happen but when this all started it was Already too late to take him to the vet. I sat with him kinda as if i didn’t want him to die alone. I set him on my lap crying because it was My first reptile and I loved him so much. He began to start curling up kind of awkwardly so I put him down and he laid there for about 3-5 minutes. It was Time for me to go to sleep so I put him in his favorite rock even then I knew something was wrong because he usually curls up in the corner he just laid out in it . The next morning at 8am I was going to take him to the vet but when I open the rock he passed already. He was stomach side up in an awkward position loosely curled up with his head under him my boyfriend picked him up and he had a liquid spot under his head somewhat like gooey but it was Very little.

I took him to petco and fortunately they had gave me another one and disposed of the other. I was kind of feeling bitter sweet because how can I just replace him like that , especially that quick. But loving to be able to take a new snake in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-22-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-22-2019),wnateg (08-22-2019)

Thanks
    These forums honestly can be pretty toxic sometimes.

You all say you care about the snakes, but you present yourselves in a manner that guarantees no one will follow your advice.

Stop being a bully to people on the internet.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-22-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: TOS Violation

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Act and bicker like children and be treated like children…….and it’s time out on this one.

Food for the thoughts learn to walk away.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 08-22-2019 at 10:54 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-22-2019),gunkle (08-22-2019),PitOnTheProwl (08-22-2019),wnateg (08-22-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12