Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,797

1 members and 2,796 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I left the tub lid a little bit open. Don't remember why I did that. Of course, the bp goes missing when I check on him a few hours later. He was found nearby so I was lucky.

On the same topic about tubs, I learned active snakes are more likely to get out of tubs (Not sure about racks) no matter how many binder clips and such you use (With the exception of my king, who stayed in a tub for a few weeks without issues). Best to go for one of those tanks that come with locks.

Don't stick your hand into the bag to get your new snake.

There were a lot of 'noob' moments that I can't remember. I got lucky and learned quickly thanks to others' advice and help.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

wnateg (08-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    I was letting one of our BP's slither around on my desk while working on the computer. She found the hole in my partner's brand new speaker that he had put on the edge of my desk and went right in faster than I've ever seen her move before. And she would not come out for anything, nor was there a way for me to take it apart and get her out. Partner was out of town so I didn't want to upset him. Finally I just put the speaker in a large plastic tote and went to bed. I set my alarm for midnight and woke up to find the snake out of the speaker! I quickly grabbed her and put her away. My partner didn't ever need to know what happened-- his speaker still worked fine.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-20-2019),EL-Ziggy (08-21-2019),wnateg (08-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Biggest Husbandry Mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I was letting one of our BP's slither around on my desk while working on the computer. She found the hole in my partner's brand new speaker that he had put on the edge of my desk and went right in faster than I've ever seen her move before. And she would not come out for anything, nor was there a way for me to take it apart and get her out. Partner was out of town so I didn't want to upset him. Finally I just put the speaker in a large plastic tote and went to bed. I set my alarm for midnight and woke up to find the snake out of the speaker! I quickly grabbed her and put her away. My partner didn't ever need to know what happened-- his speaker still worked fine.
    I think that's one of those funny in hindsight stories.

It also reminds me of another story of my own. This was when I was about 8 or so (25 now), so you can't hold it against me. I had my ball python out while I was watching TV. I took my eye off of it, and then looked down and it was gone. My father and I looked everywhere and finally we moved the TV stand and it had slithered underneath. Even though I remember there being only the smallest sliver of room.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-21-2019),FollowTheSun (08-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I think that's one of those funny in hindsight stories.

It also reminds me of another story of my own. This was when I was about 8 or so (25 now), so you can't hold it against me. I had my ball python out while I was watching TV. I took my eye off of it, and then looked down and it was gone. My father and I looked everywhere and finally we moved the TV stand and it had slithered underneath. Even though I remember there being only the smallest sliver of room.
    I did something similar but I wasn't 8, lol...I was tired from my job, & about 10 pm sat down in my recliner chair to watch the late news with a snake on my lap. I dozed
    off for about 5 minutes or less (I could tell because I didn't miss much news) but it was long enough for the snake I was holding to slither off my lap & hide under my chair.
    I found him right away of course, but I have to wonder how snakes always seem to know the moment your attention strays? And obviously, it's not only me. (I was
    quite relieved that my snake was ok, & it occurred to me that he could have been injured in the chair mechanism.)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (08-21-2019),wnateg (08-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    When i was about 16 One of my Corns got out. My Mom found it in the laundry basket. To this day my family still thinks I put the snake in the laundry basket on purpose, and this was 20+ years ago.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-21-2019),wnateg (08-21-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I also had my bout with feeding my snake outside of its enclosure. When I got my new snake I started feeding her old school. but after about 4 or 5 months I was able to convert my snake into eating in the enclosure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

wnateg (08-21-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

When I first got a BP ( back in nineteen-canteen ) I thought gravel might make a good substrate because it would be easy to clean.

First pee corrected that assumption.
    Last edited by dr del; 08-21-2019 at 07:12 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-21-2019),wnateg (08-21-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12