Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,824

2 members and 2,822 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ri?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts

Re: Ri?

Quote Originally Posted by Max12069 View Post
    Ok thank you for both of those answers im worried cuz he keeps climbing to the lid and getting close to the heat lamp and i dont want him to get burned.
    How are you controlling the heat?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

I use a ceramic heat emitter.

Thanks
    It still needs to be controlled so it's not too hot -which apparently it still is or was...you said the warm side of cage was 95*?

At the very least, it should be plugged into a rheostat (aka "lamp dimmer" that's rated for the wattage of your CHE), or better yet, controlled by thermostat.
    You can kill a snake with too much heat...don't wait until something tragic happens, ok?

Thanks

Ok im going to petco tomorrow so ill get all that stuff. Hes been so active im hoping hes just hungry.

Thanks

Hes just been doing this all day

and this

https://ibb.co/VHLX3hb

other than those two things hes been crawling around
    Last edited by Max12069; 08-19-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Max12069 View Post
    Ok im going to petco tomorrow so ill get all that stuff. Hes been so active im hoping hes just hungry.
    The more you tell me the more I think he's still probably too HOT & needing relief, hence the digging under substrate or laying by water bowl.

How are you reading the temperatures in the cage? Petco is probably NOT your best bet for a thermostat...and it's definitely not the best bet for a simple rheostat (lamp
    dimmer)...for that, just go to your local hardware/home improvement store...they'll have them, just ask. You don't want one to install yourself in the existing cord, it's far
    easier to buy one that's already installed in an extension cord, ready to plug your CHE cord into. Thermostats- decent ones- cost more & you choose the temperature,
    whereas a lamp dimmer is just a rotary dial* that you'll have to figure out by trial & error where to turn it to, to get the temps. you want. Petco will likely have their own
    version of a low-quality rheostat control for more than you'll pay in a hardware store. (*the rheostats that I use, I use a permanent marker on the dial for "hi, med, low")

Is the CHE your ONLY heat source? Overhead heat works but it's not the best way to heat the cage of a terrestrial snake, as you waste energy: heat rises, so much of the
    heat from a CHE (or a light) simply never makes it into the cage and down to where the snake is on the bottom. That's why I mostly use over-head heat in the winter, and only to add to the UTH heat from underneath when the ambient temperatures in my house are lower.

You might take a look at Reptile Basics or other online sources before you shop locally.
    https://www.reptilebasics.com/heating https://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-19-2019 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks

It is my only source of heat. Ill probably get the thermostat and rhetostat online. I think he finally is resting. I use a zoo med thermometer to get the heat.

Thanks

Should i use the ceramic heat emitter and a heat pad or one or the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats the best thermostat in your opinion.

Thanks
    Depends on how cold your room (or house) gets year-round (like in winter, or even summer if you use a lot of air conditioning). So you may need both, but I
    cannot answer that for your house or the climate wherever you are. It's always better to have both connected & ready to use, you can just leave one off or on
    low, but when it gets to be cold in the winter, your snake could get sick if he gets too cold before you notice or can get to the store. Just be sure he has a cool
    side to the cage too, for safety & for your snake to choose what's needed ("thermo-regulate").

Thermostat: start a new thread (or search existing ones here) to get input from others...I haven't bought one in quite a while & things change...ok?

Thanks

Ok thank you, what i have been doing is making the ac blast rlly cold air so it cool inside the cage so it becomes the right temperature

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast