Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,658

0 members and 2,658 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

My KSB took a drink!

My KSB went over to his water dish and took a long drink right after handling. I'm so proud of him!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It's cool to see our pet snakes doing things when we're watching them. I really REALLY still love it when they yawn, but it takes patience to catch them in action.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (08-18-2019)

Thanks
    I love seeing my little Crowley taking a drink but I also hate walking up to him while he's drinking as I don't want to startle him and stop him from drinking. I always walk up to him not knowing he's going for a drink then I just stop and slowly back away while saying "Awww".

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Countach (08-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: My KSB took a drink!

My favorite thing about snakes drinking is when you refill their bowl while handling them and offer it to them outside of the cage or before they get put down. Most of my snakes are about 1 in 5 times they'll just go ahead and drink. (Some species more likely than others, haha)

Some of my notable favorites:
    #1 - after being missing for 4.5 months, my Texas Graybanded king drank for a solid 60 seconds when I tried to set him in a secured tub to settle back in. He could have bolted to a hide, but chose to sit on my hand and drink for quite a while instead.

#2 - a BRAND NEW (to me) baby kingsnake, my albino cali, when I tried wetting her into her tub after getting home chose drinking over fleeing from the big scary predator. (With new tiny snakes, if they don't bail fast, I try to show or set them near the water bowl so they know where it is quickly. They probably don't drink much through travel and the expo, so I like to get them acquainted with it quickly)

And my other two... every time I have to clean my blood pythons cage because he peed and/or messed up his water tub, I will hold him over the new water and he'll reach down for a drink. Did it the first time because he likes to soak and figured he might go for a soak. He's only a yearling and his head is impressive to watch all those muscles working up close.

And twice I've held water out to my KSB Pixel and she drank out of the bowl in my hand.

It's a whole different level of trust, I think, for a snake to decide to drink despite you toucbing/holding them. (Or more than likely for my 2 kings that they were just that thirsty, hahaha)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-17-2019),Countach (08-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Know what I think is cute? When I've raised hatchlings & let them drink drips of water off my fingers. And they just keep doing it, I have to keep dipping my finger
    of course.

Another funny thing I've seen: when I've taken in w/c snakes that have never seen a water bowl before, when I put a bowl of water in the cage it often has some
    drips on the outside of the bowl, so instead of drinking from the bowl, they'll drink the drips off the side. Or, if you spray a snake that's coiled up, they'll drink off
    their own coils too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (08-18-2019)