Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,604

1 members and 1,603 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Is my hide to small?

I had just bought her and she had some really dusty substrate. I cleaned the tank changed the substrate and put her back in. She went to her hide for a couple minutes then started roaming around only to start kind of digging into the substrate. Now she is "burrowing" under and around her hides moving them around. the pic shows her going back to her hide under her substrate.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Is my hide to small?

She made her way to the edge to say hello. air and surface temps are good and humidity is 57

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Squamata49 For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (08-17-2019)

Thanks

Her enclosure is looking good so far, those rock hides are really nice and I have that exact same climbing branch for my BP! Those hides look like a good size for a fully grown BP to me.

I'm not sure if you use overhead or under tank heating but if the heating is under the tank she might be burrowing to get closer to the heat source since the substrate is very thick. Most people use about half an inch of substrate especially with under tank heating. Alternately, if she feels too warm from overhead heating she might be burrowing to try to get away from it, which is how BPs would escape the hot sun in the wild. What are your surface and air temps, just to be sure?

With that said, since it's more common to use less substrate, I've never seen a BP burrow like that before! It's incredibly cute, that little snoot at the side of the enclosure is too precious. If temps are all good she could also be enjoying herself digging around, exploring the new environment, or even absorbing some moisture from the cypress since her past substrate was really dry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Squamata49 (08-17-2019)

Thanks

Thank you. Surface temps are 90 and 78 and air temps are 88 and 80 Ive got a under tank heater and lamp. After about ten minutes of turning her day light off she hasn't stopped exploring. Probably just getting used to the change. Just kinda scared me cause I hadn't seen it before really. Hopefully she will be happy with it.