Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

1 members and 3,085 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Colors on YB Pied

I just had a question on how the colors could possibly change as he ages. As I said in the title, he's a YB pied (3 months old). I was just curious.

Will they become less vibrant? Or darken?

Also, if anyone has pictures of adult ones, I'd love to see. Thanks!
    Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 08-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

luizillo (08-16-2019)

Thanks
    Hmm

I've tried looking through different threads and of course looked for images on google. But I haven't seen too many images of adult pieds, in general.

Thanks

Re: Colors on YB Pied

I just figured out how to post pics, so here's a picture of my boy (although not the best lighting or quality).

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Awesomethepossum For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-21-2019),luizillo (08-18-2019),richardhind1972 (08-21-2019),rufretic (08-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 695 Posts
    Nice looking pied!

I find it's difficult to find adult pics of many many combos. I think it's most likely because most combos look their best as hatchlings. Look into Desert Ghost if you're interested in having an adult ball python that looks just as good as an adult as it did as a hatchling. As for your yb pied, I chose that for my female pied combo as well by the way , my guess is they will most likely lose the orange tones and possibly darken a bit but overall, pieds tend to look pretty beautiful as adults so nothing to worry about.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rufretic For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (08-18-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well I don't have just YB Pied I have a little more into my YB Pied combos I have a Pastel YB Pied and a Pastel YB Leopard Pied and I can tell you that the YB gene help maintain the vibrancy of those combos which is never easy once you add Pastel, therefore I would expect an adult YB Pied to maintain it's coloration.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (08-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rufretic View Post
    Nice looking pied!

I find it's difficult to find adult pics of many many combos. I think it's most likely because most combos look their best as hatchlings. Look into Desert Ghost if you're interested in having an adult ball python that looks just as good as an adult as it did as a hatchling. As for your yb pied, I chose that for my female pied combo as well by the way , my guess is they will most likely lose the orange tones and possibly darken a bit but overall, pieds tend to look pretty beautiful as adults so nothing to worry about.
    Thank you! He was the only one at the show I went to, so I nabbed him immediately. The breeder didnt really want to part with him, but he had no more space in his current collection....and I've wanted one for about a decade. I just wasnt sure if he'd end up looking like a normal pied.

Desert ghost is a pretty one..and I saw a mystic potion in a specialty petstore yesterday-- really wished I had the space and money to have gotten it. Too many beautiful morphs to choose from. But yeah, I never really thought about color fading, until afterwards. Not that I have any regrets though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Well I don't have just YB Pied I have a little more into my YB Pied combos I have a Pastel YB Pied and a Pastel YB Leopard Pied and I can tell you that the YB gene help maintain the vibrancy of those combos which is never easy once you add Pastel, therefore I would expect an adult YB Pied to maintain it's coloration.
    Thank you for your response. I do hope he retains at least some of the color, although it doesn't matter as much as he's happy and healthy. I've dug around and found some pictures of adult pieds with orangish outlines to their saddles, but others with more yellowed hues. That's why I wasnt certain--especially since it's hard to find "before and after" images.

Thanks

YB Pieds, aka "Pumpkin Pieds", are very cool! Like most they loose some color with age, the oranges fading to more of a burnt yellowish. I think they look great as babies and adults! Billy has an 843 gram 2017 YB Pied (het lavender but that wont affect it visually) up for sale that is a good example of how they age:

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/199611

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TopNotchPythons For This Useful Post:

Awesomethepossum (08-21-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TopNotchPythons View Post
    YB Pieds, aka "Pumpkin Pieds", are very cool! Like most they loose some color with age, the oranges fading to more of a burnt yellowish. I think they look great as babies and adults! Billy has an 843 gram 2017 YB Pied (het lavender but that wont affect it visually) up for sale that is a good example of how they age:

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...pythons/199611
    A little too pricey for me..but wow, she's beautiful! Is that why it's so high? I know weight has something to do with it too, but I see such a massive variation in pied prices. Some of the normal pieds I've seen for sale have that orange/yellow as hatchlings as well, which confused me.

I haven't really dabbled in ball python morphology yet. The seller advised me on female pairings, if I ever wished to pursue breeding him. He was fairly eager about it, which I'm not sure why?

But anyway, Dante is actually going through his first shed with me. He just went through the blue phase yesterday and is hiding away in his shed cave. I'm looking forward to seeing him all cleaned up!
    Last edited by Awesomethepossum; 08-21-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomethepossum View Post
    A little too pricey for me..but wow, she's beautiful! Is that why it's so high? I know weight has something to do with it too, but I see such a massive variation in pied prices. Some of the normal pieds I've seen for sale have that orange/yellow as hatchlings as well, which confused me.

I haven't really dabbled in ball python morphology yet. The seller advised me on female pairings, if I ever wished to pursue breeding him. He was fairly eager about it, which I'm not sure why?

But anyway, Dante is actually going through his first shed with me. He just went through the blue phase yesterday and is hiding away in his shed cave. I'm looking forward to seeing him all cleaned up!
    The one from Billy is expensive because she's a sub-adult YB Pied het Lavender. The "het lavender" part means she is "heterozygous" for the additional mutation "lavender albino". Because lavender albino is a recessive mutation it will not show visually as a het. A pied heterozygous for lavender can make the sought after combo "dreamsicle" (Pied / Lavender Albino), a very cool orange/white snake. Yellow belly added to the dreamsicle equation makes them even better. The degree of rarity in the mutant genes present in the snake dictate its dollar value. Here's a neat video from Justin Kobylka with a comparison of YB and standard dreamsicles if you're interested: https://youtu.be/Q0NiqiqW5Hg?t=65

Dante will look nice and fresh after his shed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast