Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,839

1 members and 2,838 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Does your snake watch you?

I've noticed that at from around 8:30-11PM each night, my BP will stick his head out of his hide and stare at me (his enclosure is in my bedroom). Sometimes if I move around he will follow me with his head. I wonder what he's thinking... maybe hoping I'll bring him another rat, just checking things out, or investigating my heat signature? Maybe he observes me the same way I observe him lol

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Yep, my snakes all saying FEED ME, FEED ME, FEED ME NOW!!! My kids snakes are tapping the tank going, hey old guy give me a rat.

I really think the snakes are just sizing me up, waiting till I become their dinner

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-15-2019),Luvyna (08-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Yes, all my snakes watch me too...especially when they start getting hungry...like "Oh Miss! Can I get some service over here please?"

But keep in mind that few snakes see very well...they need scent, touch & (some need) heat to identify prey. What they see is motion, & to them that means
    maybe, just MAYBE, prey is nearby that they can grab. When I go over to a snake that is watching me intently & blow air across my hand thru the screen, you
    can see the disappointment on their faces as they back up, realizing I'm not what they ordered. Better luck next time.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (08-16-2019),richardhind1972 (08-16-2019)

Thanks
    I was just spot cleaning the corn snake's cage and looked over to see that the BP had come out of her hide and travelled across her own cage to watch me... and yesterday I went into the room around midday to retrieve something and turned around to find both of them up against the glass staring at me... so yes! I'm sure they're always hoping for food.
    Last edited by Werewolves; 08-15-2019 at 07:22 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Werewolves For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2019),Luvyna (08-16-2019)

Thanks
    My little Crowley watches my husband and I all the time. He has his own room where I have a laptop, he'll come sit on the keyboard and just chill there and hang out with me, he'll watch me as I play my game or watch videos or browse the internet. When I take him to the couch in the living room, I put a hide for him on the couch, this is usually after he's done exploring in his room and is more tired out, he'll either hang out on my neck or go in his hide, when he goes in his hide he usually sticks his head out and watches me. When I leave to grab a drink or something (I don't leave him unattended on the couch for more than 1 min) he'll stick his head up looking for me.

One time a while back, this was when Crowley decided to hibernate and didn't come out much, he was also in shed mode which is really when he doesn't come out and to add to that it was day time (morning) when he very rarely comes out unless he's thirsty. My husband had fallen asleep on the computer chair rolled right next to the enclosure with his head right near the glass. Crowley had actually come out and slept right beside my husband where he had fallen asleep. It was morning when he woke up and found him laying out in the open, in shed mode, during the time of day where he's never out, sleeping beside his best bud. Maybe he was watching my husband sleep who knows but it was so awesome to see him balled up next to my husband at a time you'd least expect it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2019),Luvyna (08-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    All of my snakes watch me as well, unless in shed.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (08-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Does your snake watch you?

I’ve had soooo many different ‘types’ , ‘species’ ( which is it , I never know )

In my experience the most inquisitive ones are Woma Pythons ( the aussi ones not WomaRoyals) then Retics and then King snakes ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-16-2019),Reinz (08-16-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Re: Does your snake watch you?

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    One time a while back, this was when Crowley decided to hibernate and didn't come out much, he was also in shed mode which is really when he doesn't come out and to add to that it was day time (morning) when he very rarely comes out unless he's thirsty. My husband had fallen asleep on the computer chair rolled right next to the enclosure with his head right near the glass. Crowley had actually come out and slept right beside my husband where he had fallen asleep. It was morning when he woke up and found him laying out in the open, in shed mode, during the time of day where he's never out, sleeping beside his best bud. Maybe he was watching my husband sleep who knows but it was so awesome to see him balled up next to my husband at a time you'd least expect it.
    That's pretty cute alright...though it may have been your husband's warmth that Crowley was enjoying, as well as feeling safe near him? Sweet though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Valyndris (08-16-2019)