Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,414

0 members and 2,414 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Just not sure on weight

Hi there,
    I'm a little concerned about my yellow belly spider BP and as it is my first reptile I'm still learning the ropes on being a reptile mom.

I have done all my research and such but I'm just not sure on his weight. He is currently 13 months old and weights around 360 -370 grams or 0.7 -0.8 lbs. He doesn't seem to be underweight as I cant see his spine tapering other than when he is wrapping around my hand and even then its still not much. There is no stretchy skin or con-caving belly either. After doing re-search I'm still not sure if he is ok. Most of what I have seen says he should be almost 600 grams. He is about an 1-1.5" around.

I just wanted to see what everyone else thought as there are people on here with WAY more experience then me. Any tips or info would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Just not sure on weight

Their weights vary a lot. Some are slower growers, some have smaller than average adult sizes, etc.

It also highly depends how much and how often he is/was fed from hatching. Being fed exactly 10% of his weight every week would result in a bigger snake at that age than one that fed every 2 weeks. Or one who was a problematic feeder at one point or even consistently.

As long as he is a healthy body condition, then he is fine. The following chart is the guide most of us here feed, although I choose to move my males to every 2 weeks on small rats once they're eating small rats AND over 1 year old.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

M0xie (08-13-2019)

Thanks

Talking Re: Just not sure on weight

Thank you so much! any tips for moving to rats cuz my guy is a very picky eater. right now he is being fed a 20-30 gram FT mouse once a week (commercial distributes in my area arnt very cosistent on size) i would love to get him onto rats so that im not gonna have to feed multiple mice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Just not sure on weight

Scenting is the simplest method besides just trying one (but I assume since you say he is picky that you've tried to just feed a rat as-is before). Rub the rat on the mouse or thaw one of each together in a baggie so the mouse smell rubs off on the rat then offer it after heating. Blow drier works better than hot/warm water to heat it up to life-like temperatures for this since it doesn't wash the smell away.

If round 1 or 2 fails, you can try slower and feed a rat-scented mouse a few times to get the smell more familiar and then feed the mouse-scented rat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

M0xie (08-13-2019)

Thanks

Talking Update!

I went to the vet a few months ago and they said he looked amazing and he did need to gain a little weight. After getting some chunky mice (cuz he still wont touch rats and i made a 'mice....rub' so just gonna wait a little longer and do some more research.) he has reached 455 grams at last weigh in.