Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

0 members and 2,877 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: Willow wood

Thanks

Willow wood

It's been very windy here in the UK recently and a massive branch from our willow tree has come down. If I cut it down and wash/disinfect it, is it okay to use in my snakes' vivs? If it is okay, do I need to strip the bark off too?

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts
    All I know about willow trees is this (below) so I'm not sure it's totally pet-safe- might be better off to coat it with a "no VOC" pet-safe waterproofing product,
    though I doubt that enough salicin could rub off on a snake (it probably has to be boiled out) but I'm not sure I'd take the chance? You could also wrap the
    branch with something (like that colorful compression wrap used for sprained ankles & such) to prevent too much contact, just in case?

The active ingredient in the medicine made from willow bark is called salicin. Some people use willow bark as an alternative to aspirin, particularly those that experience chronic headaches or back pain. ... It comes from the branches of 2- to 3-year-old willow trees.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (08-12-2019)

Thanks

Re: Willow wood

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    All I know about willow trees is this (below) so I'm not sure it's totally pet-safe- might be better off to coat it with a "no VOC" pet-safe waterproofing product,
    though I doubt that enough salicin could rub off on a snake (it probably has to be boiled out) but I'm not sure I'd take the chance? You could also wrap the
    branch with something (like that colorful compression wrap used for sprained ankles & such) to prevent too much contact, just in case?

The active ingredient in the medicine made from willow bark is called salicin. Some people use willow bark as an alternative to aspirin, particularly those that experience chronic headaches or back pain. ... It comes from the branches of 2- to 3-year-old willow trees.

Ah okay thank u! Our willow tree is alottttt older than 2 to 3 years old lol

Thanks

Do u know what other type of tree branches I can find that r completely safe?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,817 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sophieg View Post
    Do u know what other type of tree branches I can find that r completely safe?

No...I don't even know what area you're in, lol. We all have various trees that are native & still many others that are imported ornamentals. Your best bet is to ask local
    vets about it, or people in a tree nursery may also know (not necessarily what is safe for snakes but what is generally toxic). Most branches are safe for snakes because
    snakes don't chew on them like other pets (birds, dogs, etc) might, but in the case of willow, I thought it best to be informed...I don't know if it's an issue or not, honestly.
    Maybe search a bearded dragon forum...I remember seeing an extensive list about toxic/safe plants & branches but don't have it on hand. The only ones I know to avoid
    for snakes are the pine & cedar types that have a fragrance (aromatic oils) that are irritating &/or toxic, or may also have a sticky sap.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Sophieg (08-12-2019)

Thanks

No...I don't even know what area you're in, lol. We all have various trees that are native & still many others that are imported ornamentals. Your best bet is to ask local
    vets about it, or people in a tree nursery may also know (not necessarily what is safe for snakes but what is generally toxic). Most branches are safe for snakes because
    snakes don't chew on them like other pets (birds, dogs, etc) might, but in the case of willow, I thought it best to be informed...I don't know if it's an issue or not, honestly.
    Maybe search a bearded dragon forum...I remember seeing an extensive list about toxic/safe plants & branches but don't have it on hand. The only ones I know to avoid
    for snakes are the pine & cedar types that have a fragrance (aromatic oils) that are irritating &/or toxic, or may also have a sticky sap.
    Oh okay thank u! I'll have a look at those bearded dragon forums!