Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,612

1 members and 1,611 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albino mice

Thanks

Albino mice

I think my daughters female albino mouse is sick. As pictured she kinda stops and pants like this for about 5 minutes several times a day. She has what looks like blood in her right ear. And she seems to have weight gone I can feel her spine when I have her up and smooth her down. We got her in March 2018 from a local pet store. The other two mice in the cage with her seem perfectly fine. They even look like they are grooming themselves better than the albino is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Parsons483; 08-12-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    I agree, & unless you want to spend a lot of money at the vet to help her, euthanasia may be kinder than letting it go on. May also be something contagious to the
    other mice in the same cage. Was she an adult mouse when you bought her? Sometimes even female mice fight (blood in ear?), which causes stress & that means
    lowered immunity to other issues, contagious or otherwise. Not sure the vet can fix this anyway -they don't often work on rodent pets because owners don't want to
    spend the money on something so (forgive me) "replaceable". At best, mice don't generally live longer than 2 years, so if she was an adult when bought, she might
    have been a year already, & like anything else, lifespan varies by genes, luck, good care & not being exposed to diseases & parasites. She is obviously sick (weight
    loss, not grooming, panting) but I can't tell you exactly what ails her, nor whether or not any treatment will help, but she shouldn't be kept with the others. Like us &
    other animals, mice can get cancer & all sorts of ailments, & the odds go up the older they are.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (08-12-2019)

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Albino mice

Check the teeth: Make sure they are not overgrown due to malocclusion. If the teeth are sticking out crazy or at weird angles then cut them as far back with scissors as possible and add wet food to the enclosure.

If the teeth are fine and the mouse is sick. Your best bet is to separate it out, put it in a quiet place, and offer it liquid Ensure (original flavor).
    Last edited by Lord Sorril; 08-12-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    *.* TNTC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (08-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I agree, & unless you want to spend a lot of money at the vet to help her, euthanasia may be kinder than letting it go on. May also be something contagious to the
    other mice in the same cage. Was she an adult mouse when you bought her? Sometimes even female mice fight (blood in ear?), which causes stress & that means
    lowered immunity to other issues, contagious or otherwise. Not sure the vet can fix this anyway -they don't often work on rodent pets because owners don't want to
    spend the money on something so (forgive me) "replaceable". At best, mice don't generally live longer than 2 years, so if she was an adult when bought, she might
    have been a year already, & like anything else, lifespan varies by genes, luck, good care & not being exposed to diseases & parasites. She is obviously sick (weight
    loss, not grooming, panting) but I can't tell you exactly what ails her, nor whether or not any treatment will help, but she shouldn't be kept with the others. Like us &
    other animals, mice can get cancer & all sorts of ailments, & the odds go up the older they are.
    Thanks I’ll isolate her then. Seeing as they are usually huddled together. I am not sure if the age when bought I bought her with another female but they have never fought that I seen. I hope she gets better .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    Check the teeth: Make sure they are not overgrown due to malocclusion. If the teeth are sticking out crazy or at weird angles then cut them as far back with scissors as possible and add wet food to the enclosure.
    I’ll check now when I go to isolate her thank you

Thanks
    BTW, what is the temperature in the room? Mice don't tolerate heat well because of their high metabolism. They need to stay below 80* at least.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (08-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    BTW, what is the temperature in the room? Mice don't tolerate heat well because of their high metabolism. They need to stay below 80* at least.
    They are in the living room and it’s not really hot there at the moment as there is a breeze coming through the window today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post

If the teeth are fine and the mouse is sick. Your best bet is to separate it out, put it in a quiet place, and offer it liquid Ensure (original flavor).
    Checked her teeth and they don’t seem overgrown. But I have her isolated now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Parsons483 View Post
    They are in the living room and it’s not really hot there at the moment as there is a breeze coming through the window today.

They do best at lower 70's, fyi. Over 80* is not an option.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Parsons483 (08-12-2019)

Thanks

It’s under 70F because it’s reading as 20C. but I have her isolated in a more shaded part of the house. She’s been like this for a couple of days so I don’t think it’s that. The other two haven’t changed still just as active and healthy looking as always.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Parsons483 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast