Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,375

1 members and 1,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just need to vent about this Ball Python...

Why is it that the single most expensive snake I've purchased is the one that wants to stress me out the most. Jeebus...

I purchased this little girl from a larger name breeder in the US and had her shipped to me in early April. I got a weight on her at just over 100g and put her in her tub. I gave her 2 weeks to adjust and offered her a crawler rat. Nothing. 2 weeks later after 2 more offers she finally took.

Since that time over the last 4 months she has eaten four more times. Until this weekend she had never touched a rat larger than a 3 week old crawler. For the first time last night she killed and ate a weanling.

I've tried everything, larger tub, smaller tub, bigger hide, smaller hide, and she has been left totally alone other than cleaning her feces up.

She isn't losing weight, she doesn't look anything other than slightly thin, but she is the most cantankerous baby I've ever had to deal with and she is really irking me.

I'm glad to have a place with people who may understand. Blech.

Paul

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (08-12-2019),Shayne (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Some are just like that. She may eventually turn into a good eater, or she may remain picky for life. I have a female YB/granite that took over four years to get up to 1500 grams because she would only eat once a month. Tried different setups, different racks, different temps, different colors of rats, and nothing changed in her feeding habits. She won't eat until she's good and ready.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (08-12-2019),Pengil (08-12-2019),rufretic (08-12-2019),Shayne (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Re: Just need to vent about this Ball Python...

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Some are just like that. She may eventually turn into a good eater, or she may remain picky for life. I have a female YB/granite that took over four years to get up to 1500 grams because she would only eat once a month. Tried different setups, different racks, different temps, different colors of rats, and nothing changed in her feeding habits. She won't eat until she's good and ready.
    I'm learning that too, about my two BP's. They go on feeding strikes and are picky, then one day they are really really hungry, then the next feeding they aren't anymore.

I was so stressed about my one that went on an 8 month feeding strike (she's an adult). Now she will eat a rat that's been left in her cage even if it's cold and stiff after being rejected by my other BP-- they seem to take turns being picky.

As long as there's nothing else wrong with them or their environment they'll just eat when they are good and ready.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019),rufretic (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    This is exactly why (in all honesty) I don't miss keeping BPs. Few other snakes are this much hassle, so for me it's rat snakes, or Pituophis, or king snakes, rosy boas,
    or even Aussie spotted pythons...most snakes feed wonderfully, & IMO "good pets" shouldn't drive you crazy. Heck, my longnose snake feeds better than many
    BPs, & they are not usually easy keepers at all.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (08-12-2019),ladywhipple02 (08-13-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (08-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran NewmanLovesSnakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I'm learning that too, about my two BP's. They go on feeding strikes and are picky, then one day they are really really hungry, then the next feeding they aren't anymore.

I was so stressed about my one that went on an 8 month feeding strike (she's an adult). Now she will eat a rat that's been left in her cage even if it's cold and stiff after being rejected by my other BP-- they seem to take turns being picky.

As long as there's nothing else wrong with them or their environment they'll just eat when they are good and ready.
    Mine went on a 6 month hunger strike. That scared the life out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewmanLovesSnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019),FollowTheSun (08-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've had my share of difficult snakes in the past, across a few different species, and interacted with others. Prior to this one there was always SOMETHING I could identify that had the snake's behavior off. Something about the enclosure, or the environment that once changed got the snake to eating right away.

The thing that gets me is that she doesn't act stressed, at all. She is alert and active, always with the tongue flicking. Isn't shy at all, and even getting her to ball up to get her weighed easily is a chore as she just doesn't want to stop exploring when she's out of her tub. (She's 220g as of last pre-feeding weight)

My new Animal Plastics rack is supposed to be here this month, and when it arrives I've got at least 5 snakes getting a new enclosure, when this happens I will probably shift her to a higher spot in the rack and see if a 2ft elevation change helps -_- ...

As long as she is eating and growing I will be content, even if she isn't growing like my best eaters.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewmanLovesSnakes View Post
    Mine went on a 6 month hunger strike. That scared the life out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would expect this with an older ball python, it's Modus Operandi for the breed, but I'm much more accustomed to seeing a snake that is under a year old have a strong feeding response.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019),NewmanLovesSnakes (08-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    Why is it that the single most expensive snake I've purchased is the one that wants to stress me out the most. Jeebus...

I purchased this little girl from a larger name breeder in the US and had her shipped to me in early April. I got a weight on her at just over 100g and put her in her tub. I gave her 2 weeks to adjust and offered her a crawler rat. Nothing. 2 weeks later after 2 more offers she finally took.

Since that time over the last 4 months she has eaten four more times. Until this weekend she had never touched a rat larger than a 3 week old crawler. For the first time last night she killed and ate a weanling.

I've tried everything, larger tub, smaller tub, bigger hide, smaller hide, and she has been left totally alone other than cleaning her feces up.

She isn't losing weight, she doesn't look anything other than slightly thin, but she is the most cantankerous baby I've ever had to deal with and she is really irking me.

I'm glad to have a place with people who may understand. Blech.

Paul
    Yes! I feel your pain! Mine is on just under 4 months without a single meal. Also most expensive, and a female. She's holding at just under 200g. I've tried smaller cages, different hides, live feeders....nothing. She's very active and curious in the cage. I wont mess with her until 3 consecutive, successful feedings and it's NOT fun. lol

Good luck with yours and keep us posted!
    Carpe' Diem

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Yes! I feel your pain! Mine is on just under 4 months without a single meal. Also most expensive, and a female. She's holding at just under 200g. I've tried smaller cages, different hides, live feeders....nothing. She's very active and curious in the cage. I wont mess with her until 3 consecutive, successful feedings and it's NOT fun. lol

Good luck with yours and keep us posted!
    So sorry to hear this...I wondered why you've been sorta "quiet" here. There's no torture like what a fussy snake can inflict. Unless it's a kid like "Randy" in the movie
    "Christmas Story" (1983). He might have been a ball python in a previous life?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

This method will normally WORK if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Many will only strike if the the room has dim/ low lighting !
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm continue until it's grabbed ...
    Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

Worrying CAN be part of being a Royal owner although I have a pair of HC ALBINO Royals that feed every single time ( every ten days or so ) .. but I also have a huge Pied Royal who hasn’t eaten for me since I bought him a few months ago .. he still looks amazing , he’s active and sheds well and isn’t losing weight so I’m not worried ( just frustrated) .,

I’ve never had dealings with a very small youngster with no weight on them ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast