Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,519

2 members and 3,517 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Help! Need to leave the US for around 3 weeks, how to do with my snakes?

Hi guys! I need to leave the US for around 3 weeks probably in February, I have two lovely ball pythons and a baby Suriname boa, I have no friends who can take care of them. May I know what would be a good way to take care of them? I live in Fairfax, VA. They may be OK without food for 3 weeks, but they can't live without fresh water for 3 weeks. Is there any method I can use to leave them at home? Or may I know is anyone willing to help me taking care of them for around 3 weeks? I have their rats and substrates and will drive them to your places. I'm willing to pay. Thank you so much guys!
    Last edited by alice40604345; 01-19-2020 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks
    Maybe see if any of your local exotic vets would be willing to board them?

Thanks

Re: Help! Need to leave the US for around 3 weeks, how to do with my snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Maybe see if any of your local exotic vets would be willing to board them?
    Thank you so much! I kind of worried because it seems a public places? And many sick snakes and other reptiles visit there everyday, I'm kind of worried about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

I had good luck using Rover to find a pet/house sitter. That may be an option if you can find someone comfortable with reptiles to come in once a day (or even every other) to check on the snakes.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I had good luck using Rover to find a pet/house sitter. That may be an option if you can find someone comfortable with reptiles to come in once a day (or even every other) to check on the snakes.
    Thank you so much for your help! Seems a great website! May I know do they have options that I leave my snakes at their places? Not very convenient to have someone come to my place Ah I just did a search, so should I just try to ask the people individually?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

That could be an option if you'd be comfortable moving your setups to someone else's home. Probably a bit cheaper as well. You can also search by distance to try to find someone close to you.

What I like about Rover is that you are able to message people individually (you can just plan out your message then copy and paste it to multiple people). I found someone who lived 3 miles away from me who was willing to just stay at our house (since we had reptiles, cats, dogs). I met her first to do an interview and make sure we both felt comfortable.

Not everyone is comfortable going that route, but I had success with it.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    That could be an option if you'd be comfortable moving your setups to someone else's home. Probably a bit cheaper as well. You can also search by distance to try to find someone close to you.

What I like about Rover is that you are able to message people individually (you can just plan out your message then copy and paste it to multiple people). I found someone who lived 3 miles away from me who was willing to just stay at our house (since we had reptiles, cats, dogs). I met her first to do an interview and make sure we both felt comfortable.

Not everyone is comfortable going that route, but I had success with it.

Thank you so much! I'll try to reach them! Ah I really hope to find someone from our forum, people here are true snakes lovers!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    I would ask at veterinarian offices (preferably exotics), maybe a vet tech would like to do a bit of "moonlighting" & babysit your snakes. They work in the day,
    & certainly your snakes only need minor attention in the evenings. There are also herp societies & reptile rescues in your state, you might also check with them.
    Good luck!

(I wouldn't be comfortable letting a stranger in my house to do this when I was away either-do your best to check references)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-19-2020 at 11:43 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-20-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I would ask at veterinarian offices (preferably exotics), maybe a vet tech would like to do a bit of "moonlighting" & babysit your snakes. They work in the day,
    & certainly your snakes only need minor attention in the evenings. There are also herp societies & reptile rescues in your state, you might also check with them.
    Good luck!

(I wouldn't be comfortable letting a stranger in my house to do this when I was away either-do your best to check references)
    Thank you so much! I'll try that! I'm currently vary nervous, because if there's any visa delay, I may not be able to come back in 3 weeks......and my mom is trying to ask me to rehome my snakes because if she's really scared of them and she may come back with me... I just don't know what to do...I love them so much and really raise them from babies ...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alice40604345 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2020),Team Slytherin (01-20-2020)

Thanks

Do you have a friend that could pop in a couple times to give them water? If their temps are dialed in and controlled with a thermostat, they should be fine. And won’t need to be fed. They really just need a water refill.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Team Slytherin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2020)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast