Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,146

0 members and 3,146 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Small scare last night

So last night I woke up at about 11pm, and found that all the power to the house was off. Everyone else had power. I was worried cause I had just fed Sangre and Floyd. After about an hour or so we found that the main breaker outside had flipped. Crisis Averted. This made me think. I need to buy a battery backup for my snakes. Anyone else ever used battery backups? What do you do if the power goes out? I am in an apartment so a power cable from my car is not an option. I am just wondering how big of a backup I should get. also if the power goes out again, what is the lowest possible temp I can keep them at? Would 80F be sufficient?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    With an apartment you're a bit limited in what you can do for power/heat; you're not firing up a generator or anything like that.

If all you have are the two snakes in your profile and it's brutally cold out, I would put them both in secure tubs in the bathroom along with the small "Mr. Buddy" propane heater which is designed for use in small spaces to keep your snakes at an ambient temp of about 80*F. This will also help keep your pipes from freezing. This time of year I probably wouldn't do anything unless I knew the we would be without power for more than a day, like after a hurricane or bad thunderstorm with widespread outages.

Also a tip: you can make warm/hot water easily during the summer by putting it into a dark container in direct sunlight.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Small scare last night

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    With an apartment you're a bit limited in what you can do for power/heat; you're not firing up a generator or anything like that.

If all you have are the two snakes in your profile and it's brutally cold out, I would put them both in secure tubs in the bathroom along with the small "Mr. Buddy" propane heater which is designed for use in small spaces to keep your snakes at an ambient temp of about 80*F. This will also help keep your pipes from freezing. This time of year I probably wouldn't do anything unless I knew the we would be without power for more than a day, like after a hurricane or bad thunderstorm with widespread outages.

Also a tip: you can make warm/hot water easily during the summer by putting it into a dark container in direct sunlight.

Here it is the opposite. It runs 99 - 115 during the day. I was thinking of getting some of the shipping cold and hot packs, and packaging the snakes up in a snake bag, and then put the snakes inside a tub with the appropriate heat/cold pack. It usually doesn't get below 40F in the winter, or I can put them in a Styrofoam cooler with the appropriate heat/cold pack. Of course the pack will not be accessible to the snake.

I am just not sure what to setup in case of an emergency. I'm sure the battery backup would last for a few hours, but for anything long term I need to have some sort of solution. Where I live the power never goes out, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Do you guys think this would work as an emergency backup? I can always test this once I get everything I need, and see what the temps are in the cooler with the packs. So when the power goes out I have about 5 or 6 hours before the temps drop to a point where it needs to be supplemented.

I guess if the power at the house will be off for an extended period of time I can always get a room at a roach motel.

In the short term I would need to worry about cooling off to room temp. In the long term I have to worry about over heating.
    Last edited by sur3fir3; 08-12-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks
    When the power goes out for a long period of time I use my gaming PC's battery, it's called a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), it's a pretty big battery as it has to run a gaming PC even just for 5 minutes so I can go shut it down. If the power goes out for over an hour and it's winter, I just use it for the humidifier (I have a ball python) and the heat pads as they are low wattage and that battery can last a while. I have something that looks like this and costs around $200. The screen tells you how much time you have left with the wattage you are using, I can't remember how much time it gave me when I last used it for my ball python as it was so long ago and I also plugged in a 100 watt CHE that time and drained the battery faster than expected but I know it would last a while, I'm guessing at least 3-4 hours with just 2 heat pads and a humidifier and this is just a wild guess so don't take my word on that one.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Shayne (08-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Small scare last night

I actually own one of those already. I just have to find it. Its packed away with a bunch of my stuff.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk