Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,995

1 members and 2,994 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ventilation in PVC cages

I have two PVC cages from a local cage builder and I’m really starting to feel like there is not enough ventilation.

Basically, if I use any substrate that is meant to maintain humidity (such as reptichip or prococo), the humidity is at 85-90% and condensation forms on the glass. It only goes away and starts to lower when the substrate is bone dry, and then, of course, it gets dusty, which I don’t want. So essentially in order for the humidity to stay in a reasonable range I have to use a solid paper type substrate.

I am looking for suggestions as for how to add a little more airflow. Obviously, I could just add more slits under the ventilation that is already there, but I was wondering if adding a small plastic circular vent might be an easier, more effective solution? I don’t want to add so much airflow that it affects the heat and humidity retention in a negative way, but I just don’t want it to be SO stuffy.

Here is a picture of the current vent. There is one on the other side of the cage as well, and of course there’s a small maybe 1/4 inch gap between the sliding glass doors. The cage is 4’x2’x18”

Does that seem like not enough to you guys, or is it just me? I really have no clue how to tell other than I feel like the amount of condensation that builds up is telling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    That's what I personally hated about the plastic cages I had a while back. They were easy to drill extra holes in, & you can just as easily tape over them (on
    the outside, of course) if you change your mind (-if it's too much air flow). More work to install a fancy round vent, but your call.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Ventilation in PVC cages

I’d start by letting your substrate air out in a tub/bucket/something before drilling into your nice cage. I had the same issue when I got my pvc enclosures a few years ago. Definitely don’t need to soak the reptichip as thoroughly as they suggest. I break it off in big chunks, break those apart and then give them a quick rinse in a hefty tub under my shower head for a couple seconds. Then break it up and mix it real well. I do that in batches big enough to fill the enclosure and then have leftovers for spot cleaning

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (08-12-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I’d start by letting your substrate air out in a tub/bucket/something before drilling into your nice cage. I had the same issue when I got my pvc enclosures a few years ago. Definitely don’t need to soak the reptichip as thoroughly as they suggest. I break it off in big chunks, break those apart and then give them a quick rinse in a hefty tub under my shower head for a couple seconds. Then break it up and mix it real well. I do that in batches big enough to fill the enclosure and then have leftovers for spot cleaning

The substrate is definitely not soaking wet when I put it in - I barely get it wet to begin with, just enough to break it off and have it expand, and I’ve left it to air out for up to 3 days before putting it in and it never makes a difference. If the substrate is anything other than 100% dry, the humidity is insane. For instance, it’s currently been over 2 weeks since I last replaced all the substrate. The day I put it in the humidity spiked to 90%...... today the humidity is still at 87% and there’s condensation all over half of the glass. I’m using a RHP so it should be drying out way faster if there was adequate airflow.

- Summer

0.1 Bearded Dragon ("Reka")
    0.1 California Kingsnake ("Cleo")
    0.1 Cinnamon Spider Het. Albino Ball Python ("Syd")
    1.0 Hypo Bredl’s Python (“Oz”)

Thanks

I've just drilled some hole in my Pvc cages. Since my vents are on the back, I wanted a little more cross flow from the sides.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stout76 For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (08-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Put ventilation holes high up on the warm side, and lower in the walls on the cool side. This will encourage flow-through.

You could also try setting up a small/personal-sized fan to blow air in through the gap in the doors to see if that makes a difference before you start putting holes in the enclosure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

alittleFREE (08-12-2019)