Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

0 members and 2,811 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Angry Going into shed with clear eyes? Sinister.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. My Darwin's body appears to be flatter or not so brilliant in most, but not all areas. He is hanging out on the cooler side more than the hot. Temps seems good, but not perfect as I have a RHP on the way tomorrow that will be replacing heat bulbs once and for all. Struck at, but refused his first meal yesterday, though he was all around the rat smelling it. Waiting another week and trying again. Him being on the cooler side is worrisome as this is pretty typical at this point. The top of his huge (tortoise) hide reads 102*, but the actual gauge inside the hide is reading 92*. I don't think that seems too hot inside, but I cannot control the heat that is closer to the bulbs right now without dropping the heat inside the hide too low.

Has anybody experienced carpets shedding or going into shed without the eyes blueing? I have not taken him out for the entire couple weeks + I've had him until he eats so he can settle in and digest his first meal, hopefully sooner than later. I am not too concerned about having to hold and enjoy him more than I want him to be in the right temps and humidity - his health first before my happiness. Have used my phone flashlight to check him for mites and see nothing, he is not in his water bowl ever, but I have caught him drinking from it one night. He did yawn twice yesterday when the F/T rat was available to him, which is why I really thought he was getting ready to eat. It was just a large rat, no wider than the girth of his body. Hope to hear back and have a good one guys and gals.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Maybe you missed the blue eyes?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Reinz (08-11-2019)

Thanks

Re: Going into shed with clear eyes? Sinister.

I see him every day and I think I would have definitely seen that. Plus, there is no shed. He doesn't look THAT hazy, but more so than I see in some spots. Not sure how long the process can take from start to finish I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    It’s pretty easy for me to miss the eye change in my 5 Carpets and sometimes my Olive. There’s no mistaking with my Boas and BP.

I can tell when they are in the blue just by their behavior. They disappear, which is uncharacteristic, and will spend a day or two on the warm side; which is very uncharacteristic. And of course I then pull my head out and see that they are darker as well.

Once I’m sure that they are in shed, I take a much closer look into their eyes to see the color change. It also doesn’t help that I’m old with decreasing vision.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Cee Jay (08-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    When in doubt, I find that shining a small but bright penlight (flashlight) across the arc of their eyes (& in a dark room) will easily show if they're "blue" or not.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Cee Jay (08-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I’d start spraying a few times daily for the next 5 days or so and keep looking for the shedded skin ( maybe under a hide )

As regards eating /non eating ..

Next time try the hairdryer method .. pm if you don’t know about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Cee Jay (08-11-2019)

Thanks

Regarding the cold to warm transition, I never see him actually in the warm hide. Obviously I am at work and sleeping during his "active time," but he has a pretty distinct imprint in the cool hide coco chips. I just switched his hide on the warm side from a homemade office supplies box to an Exo Terra (Exo Terra PT2922 Tortoise Cave), which may seem big, but he is 6ft. The gauge as we speak that is inside his hide is reading exactly 90* right now and that is all from a bulb, no heat tape or UTH or bottom heat of any kind. The warm end is reading 83.8, which is leading me to believe it is getting too hot. I am hoping with the RHP that it is more controllable - it should be here tomorrow. It's night here, so I am switching now to a 100W black night bulb, which doesn't get as hot. If the RHP doesn't come tomorrow by chance I may just keep the black bulb on and forget the basking bulb for heat for the day so if it is too hot he can at least be comfortable exploring if he is going into shed and needs the heat. Will be setting the thermostat for the RHP on the cool side to regulate at 79-80* and closing/eliminating the screen in the top for the lamps to help keep humidity in. I do spray every day, but the bulbs are annihilating the humidity on the hot side to around 46/ambient. The cool side humidity is around 56.