Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,268

4 members and 2,264 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Slowly getting there...

Hello BP-fanatics!

I've been reading up on this forum for a few months now. In the past I've been interested in keeping a BP, but with other things going on, it never got that far. I'm turning 40 this year and I'm feeling quite comfortable now I'll be having the time and space needed to keep these wonderful animals.

So I started doing research and ended up on these boards. I read that it's crucial to have your husbandry on point. Therefor step 1 was to find a nice enclosure that would also serve as a 'forever home'. Since humidity seems to be an issue with a lot of people, I decided to invest in a PVC cage.

Today I received my Herptek HTCS120 in black pearl. The dimensions are 120cm×70cm×35cm (+- 3.9ft x 2.3ft x 1.15ft for the non-metric people). It's a known French brand of enclosures here in Europe. I know it's overkill for a hatchling, but I don't know yet if I'll be getting a hatchling or a well-started snake in the future.

In the following months I'll be gathering everything to complete the enclosure (heating, , lights, ...) and to get it running. When the temperatures and humidity run smoothly, I'll be on the lookout for a new pet

I included a picture of the cages and I'll add more when everything takes shape. (And yes, I ordered 2 cages at once, since my research over here showed you can never have just one BP ).

Thank you all for the helpful tips and pointers I've read on this forum so far!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LG-H870DS met Tapatalk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medoc For This Useful Post:

Bodie (05-17-2019),Bogertophis (05-17-2019),Craiga 01453 (05-17-2019),Dianne (05-18-2019),fadingdaylight (05-17-2019),JRLongton (05-17-2019)

Thanks
    Looks like you're off to a good start. Good choice going with PVC, I tried to start with glass, and although I finally got it dialed in just before my PVC tank arrived, I am much happier with the PVC in terms of size, weight, and heat and humidity retention.
    - Jason

"Why should I fear what others fear? How ridiculous!" - Lao Tzu

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fadingdaylight For This Useful Post:

Medoc (05-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Slowly getting there...

Welcome to the amazing world of snake keeping! You have started down the right path as far as getting everything up and running then dialed in before actually getting your noodle. Good choice with the PVC cages. I do not breed so all of mine are PVC type display cages and I love them. Definitely post some pics when you get your cages set up.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Medoc (05-18-2019)

Thanks
    Welcome to the hobby! Ball pythons make the greatest pets and are a perfect starter snakes. I guess most people on here have more than 1 snake as it can be very addicting to collect snakes. For me I am perfectly good with just my one little ball python Crowley, which is now 5 years old. Now this is just my personal opinion but I'd get a hatchling over a grown snake, as long as it's eating F/T before you get it, then raising them up is very easy. I loved to watch my little guy grow up and they grow up so fast, you get to watch them learn to be the snakes they become as adults.

With Crowley I got to see his behavior change slightly over time while he grew, you can tell he had his baby phase, then somewhat of a teenage phase and then adulthood. By this I mean, when he was a baby, he was always in full curious mode and well a little clumsy too. He'd explore every inch of his enclosure pretty much every night and was learning to climb. When he was a baby he'd let his tail slam all the time while climbing down, he woke me up lots during the night making me think he got hurt but was always fine as he could only fall less than a foot. Then came the "teenage" phase, I just call it that as it was after his baby phase and before adulthood. During this time he absolutely loved full body massages. He liked to hang around my neck and warm up there. Once adulthood came he tried to become more independent. He no longer wants help coming out of his tank when it's time to come out and play, he likes to do it himself, I find this just so cute. He also stopped caring for massages though he does enjoy them sometimes. He no longer likes to wrap around my neck as much as he doesn't want to choke me. He got a little tight once and I pulled on him a bit to loosen him up, and like a good snake he did loosen up but it seems that since then he is less of a neck snake, which just makes me think he doesn't want to wrap around my neck because he doesn't want to hurt me. He'll still go around my neck but will keep his tail hanging down rather then wrapping.

Here I am rambling, well I just wanted to share my experience with Crowley and why having him since being a hatchling was such a wonderful experience. Can't wait to see some pictures of your new snakes when you get them and how they are set up.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (05-18-2019),Bodie (05-17-2019),Medoc (05-18-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    ... He also stopped caring for massages though he does enjoy them sometimes. He no longer likes to wrap around my neck as much as he doesn't want to choke me. He got a little tight once and I pulled on him a bit to loosen him up, and like a good snake he did loosen up but it seems that since then he is less of a neck snake, which just makes me think he doesn't want to wrap around my neck because he doesn't want to hurt me. He'll still go around my neck but will keep his tail hanging down rather then wrapping...
    I enjoyed most of your explanation about the phases your growing BP went thru, but I just want to clarify a few things. Snakes are not "out to get us" because we aren't
    in their playbook as prey, but I don't believe they have any sense of whether or not something hurts us, they aren't that aware or empathetic. They often like the warmth
    & security of snuggling around our necks, but for reasons only assumed (like they feel like they're slipping) sometimes even the friendliest snakes may tense up, which is
    a problem for our breathing & consciousness... (Keep in mind, my cautions are not specific for ball pythons, since keepers of many types may be reading.)

Never "pull" on a snake, because you can easily underestimate your strength and cause serious internal damage to a snake's body without meaning to, and remember
    that snakes have no ability to cry out when in pain, & they often do NOT bite in self-defense when they really should. It is for this reason that if you allow your snake to
    loop around your neck & shoulders at any time, you need to keep one hand always in the loop, & be prepared to gently un-wrap the snake starting with the tail. This is
    harder than it sounds when snakes get to be 5' or 6' & on up, especially when they are constrictors that grip so well, & especially if you don't have much experience or
    someone around that can help you. Note, if you have long hair, it can be hard to find a snake's tail to un-wrap it, & snakes will find or enhance any tangles by their intent
    to hold on, so a mirror may come in handy. Been there, & learned by doing the wrong thing...

About "massages"- to some of us, that word implies way more pressure than should ever be applied to a snake's body...you don't want to be re-arranging their internal
    organs or breaking ribs, & believe it or not, I can remember someone who did harm their snake unintentionally this way, so please go lightly, with gentle petting rather
    than "massages".

Valyndris, my post is only meant to clarify what you said, so that others don't get in trouble with their snakes. I've no doubt you're a caring snake owner and that yours
    is a happy snake.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-17-2019),Medoc (05-18-2019),Valyndris (05-18-2019)

Thanks
    Medoc, your preliminary research is already paying off...that's a nice pair of enclosures, for the first & then the next one. Way to go!
    We look forward to your updates...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 05-17-2019 at 12:53 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Medoc (05-18-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I enjoyed most of your explanation about the phases your growing BP went thru, but I just want to clarify a few things. Snakes are not "out to get us" because we aren't
    in their playbook as prey, but I don't believe they have any sense of whether or not something hurts us, they aren't that aware or empathetic. They often like the warmth
    & security of snuggling around our necks, but for reasons only assumed (like they feel like they're slipping) sometimes even the friendliest snakes may tense up, which is
    a problem for our breathing & consciousness... (Keep in mind, my cautions are not specific for ball pythons, since keepers of many types may be reading.)

Never "pull" on a snake, because you can easily underestimate your strength and cause serious internal damage to a snake's body without meaning to, and remember
    that snakes have no ability to cry out when in pain, & they often do NOT bite in self-defense when they really should. It is for this reason that if you allow your snake to
    loop around your neck & shoulders at any time, you need to keep one hand always in the loop, & be prepared to gently un-wrap the snake starting with the tail. This is
    harder than it sounds when snakes get to be 5' or 6' & on up, especially when they are constrictors that grip so well, & especially if you don't have much experience or
    someone around that can help you. Note, if you have long hair, it can be hard to find a snake's tail to un-wrap it, & snakes will find or enhance any tangles by their intent
    to hold on, so a mirror may come in handy. Been there, & learned by doing the wrong thing...

About "massages"- to some of us, that word implies way more pressure than should ever be applied to a snake's body...you don't want to be re-arranging their internal
    organs or breaking ribs, & believe it or not, I can remember someone who did harm their snake unintentionally this way, so please go lightly, with gentle petting rather
    than "massages".

Valyndris, my post is only meant to clarify what you said, so that others don't get in trouble with their snakes. I've no doubt you're a caring snake owner and that yours
    is a happy snake.
    Fantastic reply!!

Medoc, great job doing your homework and having your enclosure ready to go before bringing your new snake home. That will save a lot of stress for you and the animal.

Im looking forward to updates when your new friend arrives. Keep up the good work !!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Medoc (05-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

than "massages".

is a happy snake.
    Thanks for the reply. When I had to loosen Crowley from my neck I only had to give him a little nudge and he loosened up by himself, he's such a good snake. While a give him massages I go lightly but he does seem to want the deep tissue massage, I'll keep in mind that could hurt him and will only give him soft massages from now on. Who knows maybe he wants his organs rearranged, haha just kidding. Thanks for the advice.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2019),Medoc (05-18-2019)

Thanks

Thank you guys for the replies and for sharing your stories/experiences! It seems like I learn something new every time I log in!

I used to have a big aquarium (350 litres/92,5 gallons) so I know it's important to have your 'environment' on point before adding animals.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Medoc For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-18-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medoc View Post
    Thank you guys for the replies and for sharing your stories/experiences! It seems like I learn something new every time I log in!

I used to have a big aquarium (350 litres/92,5 gallons) so I know it's important to have your 'environment' on point before adding animals.
    Actually, I was thinking we were a little "off-topic"...(oops)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Medoc (05-18-2019),Valyndris (05-19-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast