Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,425

0 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Need help. Please let me know your thoughts.

Not too long ago I had to deal with such a situation. Land lord wanted me to pay the whole lease( 1 yr. ) to move out. But I pulled the lease out and he had to back down. He had my starting date wrong and I still was able to give him the notice required.
    But one thing I learned is renter's have the rentee's by the ... (well you know.) That's right by the wallet. These lease's are drawn up to pretty much say they can do whatever and you have to follow the rules they have and that's pretty much that's the way it is. And if you want out early, YOU PAY
    With the cost of lawyers I don't know about a lawyer but you can maybe look up the rules of your state. But most lease's are drawn up to follow them because most the time laws go in favor of lessor's.
    If you didn't move out and they give you notice because you didn't get rid of your snakes, will you still have to pay the fine of 750 ? And how many days will you have to be out? These things depend on the state I figure.
    They might just not like you having snakes, some people hate snakes and knowing they are in the building makes them nervous. They might have had complaints about it. Don't know. If snakes violated the agreement I figure they would tell you that. But instead use the mold excuse.

Here's the big question? Is selling your snakes an option? Maybe some with temporary homes. That way you can make some money save having to pay 750 and then when things change down the road get some more snakes or (some back.) Some people on here ( breeders sell snake's all the time ) would you be willing to do that, the other way will cost you quite a bit of money and then give you a bad reference as well. Just saying something to consider.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonsrock2 View Post
    But one thing I learned is renter's have the rentee's by the ... (well you know.) That's right by the wallet.
    As a landlord, I see it the opposite way. Good luck getting somebody out in a timely manner if you want/need to. Especially if they have kids.
    You can get them out EVENTUALLY, but it's gonna be a long 90 days or more and you can bet the place will be trashed once they're finally out.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    As a landlord, I see it the opposite way. Good luck getting somebody out in a timely manner if you want/need to. Especially if they have kids.
    You can get them out EVENTUALLY, but it's gonna be a long 90 days or more and you can bet the place will be trashed once they're finally out.
    This varies greatly by state law. MA is not landlord-friendly and you're right, it can take months to legally evict a tenant.

Until we know specifically what OP's lease states about animals, where he is in the lease (in the first year, in the month-to-month period, etc), and what his lease states about terminating it, we really can't give good advice.

We also don't know how the landlord/management company became aware of the issue or what has been attempted to clean it up; some types of mold don't need a whole lot to remediate. Also OP should clean it up as best he can, because if the management company has to do it that cost will come out of the security deposit.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-09-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    My recent experience comes from the state of Virginia where my Land Lord was ruthless and dishonest. I had seen many evicted less than 30 days. Sheriffs would come and make them leave and all their stuff was piled outside for people to grab. His leases would automatically renew which means if you didn't give 60 days days written notice before the lease starting date you were stuck for another year and he would constantly take people to court to get every cent from them. This was a trailer park and he would take their trailers.
    One guy was so mad he burned his trailer down to keep the Land Lord from getting it. I had seen many victims of his Legal maneuvers. Hope Skyrivers doesn't live in Virginia.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    Isn't Sky in Texas?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (08-10-2019)

Thanks

If it is in texas and they used the generic texas rental agreement, should be down around clause 21 or so. It will list specifically the rules regarding pets. Mine says no dogs or cats, but caged animals are allowed. Definitely check the lease.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

0.0 ball python
    1.0 dog
    1.0 cat

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kabuna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-10-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Ok... so now they are willing to let me out of my lease on the 31st with no penalty. They said after we do a walkthrough on the 31st, as long as not damage to the apartment is present, they will sign off and let me leave owing nothing. I am lucky this is working out this way. Will be moving next weekend in with a friend while I house shop to buy so I wont have to deal with this again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Ok... so now they are willing to let me out of my lease on the 31st with no penalty. They said after we do a walkthrough on the 31st, as long as not damage to the apartment is present, they will sign off and let me leave owing nothing. I am lucky this is working out this way. Will be moving next weekend in with a friend while I house shop to buy so I wont have to deal with this again.
    Sounds like they are half decent people. They probably found or have renters ready to take your place so unless there's damage they're not worried. Better to have your own place. Let us know how it goes.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I am happy to hear things are semi working out for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I would get the bolded part in writing. In real-estate transactions anything that is verbal, in texts, or in emails is irrelevant; only agreements on paper and signed are enforceable. This also is true when buying a house; if info in the MLS is incorrect and you don't catch it, that's on you not the seller/real-estate agents.

After you have moved everything out, do your own walk-through take pictures and DVR of the condition of the apartment, especially the area they claimed there was mold present. Then do the final walkthrough with the landlord.

I was both a tenant and a landlady for many years and saw shady dealings from both sides, so you need to protect yourself.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-12-2019),pretends2bnormal (08-12-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast