Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,051

1 members and 3,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

red or blue light

I just got a baby blue eyed Lucy and am sure what kind of light she needs. I have both the red and the blue one. she is also not eating her pinkies and iv had her for two weeks. please help! TIA

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: red or blue light

*.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post

nowhere in this guide does it say anything about lighting nor which color light I should use

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chodges100 View Post
    nowhere in this guide does it say anything about lighting nor which color light I should use
    The light is for you--not the snake. They get nothing from it unless you are using it for heat.
    *.* TNTC

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-09-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

I just got a baby blue eyed Lucy and am sure what kind of light she needs. I have both the red and the blue one. she is also not eating her pinkies and iv had her for two weeks. please help! TIA
    As above post says, see the guide linked to.

Baby BPs are not started on "pinkies" (mouse or rat) because pinks of either species is too small. You want to offer at least a fuzzy, & if she was only fed live (not already switched to f/t?) then you'll have to be patient (& hopefully transition her to f/t in time...for now feed live if need be). Hope she came with a feeding record? Also important: offering food too often (more than every 5-7 days) just stresses a snake more, so don't do that, ok? Be patient...

Have you been handling her? You've only had her for 2 weeks & all snakes need time to settle into new homes...that means no handling at all until they have fed at least 3 times (establishing that they are settled in), & it's best not to feed (offer food to) a new snake for at least the first week anyway...it's often a waste, as they just aren't ready.

Snakes are basically wild animals...they rely on their instincts to survive, & guess what? the only thing that picks them up in the wild is a predator about to eat them. So handling is best postponed while baby snakes learn to be snakes first...handling (& their resulting fear) tends to turn off their appetite. You'll have better luck if you're patient with all snakes...they do learn, but gradually. Eating is job #1.

Feeling secure is a big issue for a snake to accept food. How you set up their cage matters...their snug hiding places @ the right temperatures matter...and NOT being under bright lights matter. Ambient room light is fine...usually lights are used only to add warmth in winter...best if not the only source of heat, since heat rises and most heat from a light doesn't not reach the cage floor where the snake is needing warmth to digest. Be sure that all heat sources (including light if used) is regulated for safety.

And of course,
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-09-2019 at 09:21 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Pinkies are too small. Ball pythons eat hopper mice for their first meals and move up to weaned/small mice very shortly after. Either the snake is too stressed from a recent move (don't handle until the snake has eaten 3 times in a row!), husbandry is off and causing stress and food refusals, or she may not recognize such small prey as being food.

Most folks I know suggest using no colored lights for ball pythons. Red is visible to them and inappropriate for 24/7 heating since visible light will disrupt their day/night cycle and the blue would be the same issue for night time use.

Out of the bulb-type heating, most prefer ceramic heat emitters (no light heat source) for heating and using a separate low watt household light bulb or LED light on a timer for day/night cycle (no heat).

Be sure you're using a good quality thermostat for any and all heat sources. Not just a thermometer to measure the heat, but a device the heat source plugs into with it's own probe to measure and CONTROL how hot the device is allowed to get.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

red or blue light

WWND?

What would Neo do?

Last edited by Reinz; 08-09-2019 at 09:30 AM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

The link was shared because it is a valuable learning tool.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but if you're offering pinkies and wondering why the snake isn't eating you've clearly got a lot to learn.
    Learning about a proper diet for a ball python requires very little research and should have been a part of your research before bringing an animal home.

Now that you've got the animal, do yourself and the animal a favor and read, read, read and read some more. The more we know about our pets the better we can care for them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (08-09-2019)