Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

1 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Hide size

Thanks

Question Hide size

Hi I was wondering if my hides were too small for my ball python. She is around 14 inches long and around 140g. The hides are the small black plastic hides that are popular. Dimentions 5.5"x4"x2.125". Is this too small for her if so should I get the medium of the same brand? Right now she is only using a paper towel cardboard that the breeder recommended she hasnt gone into the other ones.

Thanks

Re: Hide size

I’m sure the hide is big enough. I always use identical hides on both my hot and cool side because they will find the hide that makes them feel most secure and stay in that one. So I want to make sure they don’t have to chose security over thermo regulating. Especially young snakes who are scared of everything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

Spike4179 (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    Ball pythons love it cozy and usually when a hide looks too small is when they love it the most. When my snake outgrew his hides he would still use the small ones he loved most rather than switching to the bigger one till I took the small hide away. So when you see something like this happen you know you need to up the size. He had bigger hides in his enclosure but I let him use the small one for a while before I took it away and felt bad when I did, he still loved it even though you can see half the snake. lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

Spike4179 (08-08-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Ball pythons love it cozy and usually when a hide looks too small is when they love it the most. When my snake outgrew his hides he would still use the small ones he loved most rather than switching to the bigger one till I took the small hide away. So when you see something like this happen you know you need to up the size. He had bigger hides in his enclosure but I let him use the small one for a while before I took it away and felt bad when I did, he still loved it even though you can see half the snake. lol

Lol your snake has great ninja skills.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sur3fir3 For This Useful Post:

Spike4179 (08-08-2019),Valyndris (08-08-2019)

Thanks

My coral glow pinstripe does the same thing. I keep him in a tub in a rack, but I still like to put hides in there. I had put a bigger one in there, when I noticed he was hanging out all over, but when I would open the tub he would be sitting under it with his head stuck out staring at me looking sad. So I put the other one back in with the new one so he could chose. He ditched the new one completely! Wouldn’t go near it. I just took it out finally. He must have been a turtle in his previous life.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bhsurf4 For This Useful Post:

Spike4179 (08-08-2019)