Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,829

5 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Hybrid View

Thanks

New Ball Python Owner

Hi I'm new to ball pythons and snake owning in general so I was looking maybe for some tips on my husbandry. Here's the basic info on my set up.
    1. How long have you had your ball python?

I got her online and she was delivered yesterday 8/6. So about 36 hours maybe.

2. How old (or how big) is your snake?

She is around 8-9 months I think. Last weighted she was 140 g and 14 inch.

3. Does it eat on a regular schedule?

For the breeder? Yes. And fed well.

4. How long since its last meal?

The breeder last feed her on the 27th.

5. What type/size prey is being offered?

The breeder said she was feed adult live mice because she was being picky and they wanted to make sure she ate before she left. Didnt specify on the size but I can ask. Fyi I will be feeding her f/t.

6. How often do you offer food?

I'm going to offer her food most likely on sunday and then try and keep a schedule of about every 7 days.

7. What type and size of enclosure does it live in?

Shes living in a 30 gallon plastic tub. With three hides one for hot one for cold and then a paper towel cardboard with paper towel stuffed in recommended by the breeder in about the middle.

8. What are you using as substrate? If it has depth, how deep is it?

Aspen. With about a depth of 1/4 to 1/2 half of substrate throughout the enclosure. Might eventually switch to cypress mulch for better humidity levels.

9. What type of heating do you use?

UTH on one side, with temp controls.

10. Do you use a thermostat to control temperatures?

Yes.

11. What do you use to measure/monitor temperatures?

Temp gun

12. What are the surface and ambient temperatures in the enclosure?

Basking spot is 88-91, ambient is about 81-83

13. What is the average humidity level?

55-60%

14. How many and what type of hides does the snake have?

Three, two small, standard hides on either end of temp gradient, and a third which was recommended by the breeder it's a paper towel cardboard with paper towel stuff in it(she really likes this one).

15. Is water readily available at all times?

She has a small/medium sized bowl of water with she at all times.

16. Does the snake live alone or does it share the enclosure with anything else?

She lives alone.

17. How often and for how long is the snake typically handled?

Handled her only when moving him into the tank. I also made a few adjustments to the enclosure during the first day like moving some stuff around(she was in the enclosure by this time). I also regularly spray down the enclosure for better humidity and refill the water bowl.

18. Does the snake have any medical history (old injuries or illnesses)?

No.

19. Do you have any other reptiles? Have you brought in any new reptiles recently?

No

20. Is there anything specific or unique about your situation that we should be aware of?

Since I'm brand new to this whole thing I've been very nervous whenever the smallest thing happens. She has been very nice so far she hasnt tried to strike at all and I haven't heard any hissing. So far she seemed very active the first day and was exploring all around but then she was up at the top by the lid for a very long time that's when I decided to add that third enclosure that shes been in since. She slept for most of the first day then last night came out and started to explore again. But that was the last time she was out of the hide. I know I probably shouldn't be worried yet because they're active at night. Right now its lights out time and I cant even see the enclosure right now so I cant really give any updates right now. If anyone would want pictures of her or the enclosure I could do that but itll probably not happen until tomorrow. Tell me if I missed anything or if there are any tips. Thanks for the help.
    P.S: sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting this in.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spike4179 For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-08-2019)

Thanks
    Sounds like you are doing everything perfect, that's a nice list of questions too. She might not eat while she is adjusting to her new home but if she was eating good at the breeders then she should resume eating for you soon if she happens to refuse a few meals. If she doesn't eat I'd wait 5-7 days before trying again not to stress her out. What is your new little noodle's name?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-08-2019),Spike4179 (08-07-2019)

Thanks

Re: New Ball Python Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Valyndris View Post
    Sounds like you are doing everything perfect, that's a nice list of questions too. She might not eat while she is adjusting to her new home but if she was eating good at the breeders then she should resume eating for you soon if she happens to refuse a few meals. If she doesn't eat I'd wait 5-7 days before trying again not to stress her out. What is your new little noodle's name?
    Thanks for the advice. Her name is crowley.