Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

1 members and 2,800 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Weird retching, throat scraping sound with no vomiting

Hi everyone. I'll try to give you as much context as I can here for I don't quite know what could be relevant or not. At about 11h00 p.m my 1 year old empire pinstripe male ball python was resting on a fake half log made of something like clay when he suddenly "fell" from it (about 1 inch high) and made three weird and quite loud noises like somewhere between "coughing", loudly sneezing, which had kind of a retching, throat scraping quality to them. It was weird. About half an hour later he is quite active and exploring the enclosure but still no regurgitation or vomiting. The snake ate 8 days ago. Temps are about 80 F on the cool end and 88-90 with a hot spot at about 95F on the warm end. Humidity is 65-70%. I waited 5 days before handling him after he fed, and just changed his enclosure yesterday after he pooped( so 7 days after he ate) . The new enclosure is bigger. He spent yesterday and today hidden and came out tonight to explore the new enclosure. He is about 2.4 feet long and his new enclosure is 2.5 feet long on 1.5 feet wide. I don't know if any of this information helps. I really have no idea what this sound was and I'm quite concerned. I'm thinking of bringing him to the vet maybe tomorrow but if anyone has any idea on what it might have been it could at least reassure me a bit (though I'll probable go to the vet anyway just in case)

Thank you guys SOOO much for your sure to be kind answers.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Did you actually see his mouth open (making the sounds)? I ask because some others have mistaken the sound of a snake passing gas for other issues too.
    And the timing suggests "gas" too...it's 8 days after he ate, so about time that things might be moving... Not sure about him rolling off a 1" high log as a result
    but I can see where that could happen...BPs aren't the most graceful climbers anyway. Your hot spot sounds about 5* too hot, by the way.

FYI, if that was my snake, I'd keep watching him for a while, to see if any symptoms are repeated. Really think he just farted loudly, some snakes do.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-07-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Weird retching, throat scraping sound with no vomiting

Was there any urates or poop after the sounds?

I ask because snakes don't have a diaphram so cannot cough but they have to been known to make sounds while the "other end" was active.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-07-2019)

Thanks

Re: Weird retching, throat scraping sound with no vomiting

Thanks for your answers. I have to admit I literally have no idea what a snake fart sounds like. It was dark in the room what it happens and by the time I got to the light it wzd over so I couldn't see if his mouth was open or not. No unrates or poop at first glance. I'll check more thoroughly tomorrow morning though. What got me really concerned was that without convulsing or anything the sounds were accompanied by some sort of spasms throughout his body.