Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

0 members and 2,918 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Are solo male Retics really more defensive than females?

Title says most.

With the exception of breeding season, If kept solo, are male retics overall more defensive than their female counterparts?

Will solo kept male retics still cycle through a breeding phase yearly if kept solo?

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Are solo male Retics really more defensive than females?

Will vary among individual animals. Some are chill even around females in breeding season, others are hormonal chainsaws regardless of season or proximity to females

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 08-07-2019 at 04:27 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

67temp (08-07-2019),Gio (08-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Are solo male Retics really more defensive than females?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Will vary among individual animals. Some are chill even around females in breeding season, others are hormonal chainsaws regardless of season or proximity to females

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed!

I'm not experienced enough with the species, I have 1 male that is over 3 years old, however I have observed a shift in his behavior now that he is fully mature.

Some say the SD and dwarf genetics add to the "flighty" behavior, but that again could is likely an individual to individual trait.

I have a female royal and a female carpet in the same room with my male retic. It is possible, although unlikely he cues in on pheromones from them.

There is a male boa in the room as well.

In a recent thread I described some very aggressive behavior my snake exhibited.

A whole host of others chimed in, and the general consensus was a recent heat wave may have triggered the changes. Folks with royals, carpets and boas mentioned their animals acting differently.

My guy has not completely shifted back to his old ways. As a matter of fact he continues to wait at the door, and I'm certain he'd bite if I just reached in to get him.

Food isn't the answer. I spoke with Garrett Hartle for about an hour one day and he agreed that just throwing food at a snake to settle it down was a poor solution. I feed typically how he would eat in the wild.

That was a bit off topic so I'll answer the question the bast I can.

"I have heard" males tend to run a little hotter than females, and that SD and dwarf species tend to be a little more fired up than mainlands.

That knowledge or opinion comes from a good friend that has probably had 30-40 retics over the years. Its not the first time I've heard that mentioned but it isn't gospel either.

It is a hard question to answer and you will likely get different answers from different people.

What I can say is the retics are an advanced species.

Complacency with even an 8 footer can lead to a bad day.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

67temp (08-07-2019),jmcrook (08-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Are solo male Retics really more defensive than females?

From reading others experiences and with my own, I agree food is not the answer. Even with females there can be more combatant behaviors. It all depends on the animal as well as your relationship with the animal. I met a breeder once that was astonished at how docile Rainbow was and also Aurora as well. She had been breeding them for years and has only experienced more aggressive/ defensive behavior with her retics in general. I have also talked to other breeders that have experienced the an experience that is in direct conflict with hers and that their animals tended to be easy to handle, but even they moved with caution with certain males during breeding season because of their tendency to be as nature intended them to be. They are emotional, intelligent creatures with their own desires that we need to be aware of constantly. Can never let your guard down. Some animals are simply not good pets. I am very lucky. My only combatant one is a corn snake that had a broken rib as a result of crawling through the key ring of someone holding her. She had to have surgery to remove the rib that healed wrong and doesn't like being handled. She will bite and keep biting till you let her go. I only handle her when I need to for cleaning at this point and I know that I will care for her for the duration of her life because no-one else will give her a good life with her attitude. I don't blame her though. Was traumatic experience for her.
    Last edited by Skyrivers; 08-08-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks
    I have a male and a female. I lucked out in that at 7-years-old that male has never gotten defensive or aggressively hormonal. However. I pay attention to body language - when he's wagging his tail and shrugging me off I keep handling to the minimum necessary and with caution. I use my tapper to keep his head away from me

The girl is just just nervous. I would not be surprised if she turn around and nails me one day.
    Last edited by o.r hill; 08-12-2019 at 04:50 PM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to o.r hill For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (08-12-2019),PartySnake13 (08-12-2019)