Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 921

18 members and 903 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 08:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 65,197
Threads: 239,858
Posts: 2,491,912
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, Snazzy19
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User Samurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-06-2019
    Location
    Elizabethtown PA
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 33 Times in 13 Posts

    Thermostat setting?

    I have a totally enclosed rack full of snakes that I keep thermostat set on 88.
    Have a just built rack, with nothing in it yet.
    It's not totally enclosed it has walls, just not completely. Kind of like the VE-6 economy rack.
    Question is: Since it's not totally enclosed. Should I set thermostat around 90? Or keep it at 88, like the others?
    Asking since it has more airflow going thru it than my other racks.
    0.1 Lemon Blast (Dynasty Reptiles)
    0.1 Lemon Blast (CV Exotics)
    0.1 Lemon Blast (Dynasty Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel Blade Clown (E-Squared Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Normal het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Spider het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Russo (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Mystic (ON HOLD)


    I don't name mine. What's the point?

  2. #2
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-28-2006
    Posts
    23,995
    Thanks
    5,897
    Thanked 19,233 Times in 8,958 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images: 6

    Re: Thermostat setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    I have a totally enclosed rack full of snakes that I keep thermostat set on 88.
    Have a just built rack, with nothing in it yet.
    It's not totally enclosed it has walls, just not completely. Kind of like the VE-6 economy rack.
    Question is: Since it's not totally enclosed. Should I set thermostat around 90? Or keep it at 88, like the others?
    Asking since it has more airflow going thru it than my other racks.
    There is no answer to your question what YOU will set YOUR t-stat on will depend on various factors that are unique to YOU

    Ambient temps, are far the heat is recessed, tubs thickness (different manufacturer different thickness) etc so you need to play around and set it check your temps and adjust accordingly.
    Deborah Stewart

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

    Craiga 01453 (08-07-2019),Samurai (08-07-2019)

  4. #3
    Registered User Samurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-06-2019
    Location
    Elizabethtown PA
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 33 Times in 13 Posts

    Re: Thermostat setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    There is no answer to your question what YOU will set YOUR t-stat on will depend on various factors that are unique to YOU

    Ambient temps, are far the heat is recessed, tubs thickness (different manufacturer different thickness) etc so you need to play around and set it check your temps and adjust accordingly.

    That's what I thought. But had to ask.
    Guess I'll just get the temp gun out, and play around with it.
    0.1 Lemon Blast (Dynasty Reptiles)
    0.1 Lemon Blast (CV Exotics)
    0.1 Lemon Blast (Dynasty Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel Blade Clown (E-Squared Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Normal het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Spider het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Russo (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Mystic (ON HOLD)


    I don't name mine. What's the point?

  5. #4
    BPnet Veteran Craiga 01453's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    8,628
    Thanks
    10,943
    Thanked 7,825 Times in 4,031 Posts
    Yup, there's no one size fits all answer here. The only way to set it right is trial and error.
    ...life is beautiful...

    1.0 Vanilla het Pied BP - Tyson
    1.0 Pastel Fader BP - Dembe
    1.0 California Kingsnake - Django
    1.0 Western Hognose - Cosmo
    1.0 Borneo Short Tail Python - Juice
    1.0 Anery Kenyan Sando Boa - Willow
    2.2 Ferrets - Baloo, Chloe, Johnny & June
    0.2 Cats - Simba & Nala

  6. #5
    Registered User BC's Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-22-2018
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    You will likely have to set it slightly higher to achieve the desired temps in open frame vs the enclosed racks. We use mainly Freedom Breeder racks but have a few economy racks we use for quarantine and
    overflow. Typically the setting is 2-3 degrees higher in the open frame than the enclosed racks to hit the sweet spot. You may also find it helpful if only using one probe to put it lower in the open framed rack than generally recommended. I know in our 10 and 15 level open framed Freedom Breeder racks we have those split into 4 zones with the bottom level being on its own channel on a Herpstat 4. Its the only way to keep the bottom level at the temps we want. Ultimately its just playing with it and getting it dialed in. We have settings in our rooms from 88 to 96 depending on the rack and level.
    Last edited by BC's Balls; 08-07-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Brian Carter
    BC's Balls
    bcsballpythons@gmail.com




  7. The Following User Says Thank You to BC's Balls For This Useful Post:

    Samurai (08-07-2019)

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-04-2019
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With my rack to get the temperature I'm looking for my probe has to be 5 degrees higher. Checking with a gun and a thermometer probe inside the tub over the heat tape.

  9. #7
    Registered User Samurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-06-2019
    Location
    Elizabethtown PA
    Posts
    63
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 33 Times in 13 Posts

    Re: Thermostat setting?

    Quote Originally Posted by BC's Balls View Post
    You will likely have to set it slightly higher to achieve the desired temps in open frame vs the enclosed racks. We use mainly Freedom Breeder racks but have a few economy racks we use for quarantine and
    overflow. Typically the setting is 2-3 degrees higher in the open frame than the enclosed racks to hit the sweet spot. You may also find it helpful if only using one probe to put it lower in the open framed rack than generally recommended. I know in our 10 and 15 level open framed Freedom Breeder racks we have those split into 4 zones with the bottom level being on its own channel on a Herpstat 4. Its the only way to keep the bottom level at the temps we want. Ultimately its just playing with it and getting it dialed in. We have settings in our rooms from 88 to 96 depending on the rack and level.
    That's what I had to do. Checked temps in closed frames, had set on 88, and it was like 88.1
    Did the just built open framed one, set it to 92, and it's around 88-88.5
    I don't have an extra room, or seperate building. I keep them in my living room of my apartment. And I usually keep it around 72 in here.
    Last edited by Samurai; 08-07-2019 at 10:42 PM.
    0.1 Lemon Blast (Dynasty Reptiles)
    0.1 Lemon Blast (CV Exotics)
    0.1 Lemon Blast (Dynasty Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel Blade Clown (E-Squared Reptiles)
    1.0 Pastel het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Pastel het G-Stripe (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Normal het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Spider het Orange Ghost (HB Reptiles)
    1.0 Russo (HB Reptiles)
    0.1 Mystic (ON HOLD)


    I don't name mine. What's the point?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1