Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

0 members and 2,898 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball python head jerks back

So i got my male ball python around 2 months ago and since then I've been holding him like twice a week for 15 minutes and he always had been fine with it and crawls around my arm and likes to explore. So yesterday i discovered some mites in his water bowl so I'm gonna start treating him. But also now whenever i hold him he will jerk his head back a lot and he never used to do that is this just because he's stressed from the mites. He also struck at me but didn't actually bite.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Ball python head jerks back

Quote Originally Posted by Max12069 View Post
    So i got my male ball python around 2 months ago and since then I've been holding him like twice a week for 15 minutes and he always had been fine with it and crawls around my arm and likes to explore. So yesterday i discovered some mites in his water bowl so I'm gonna start treating him. But also now whenever i hold him he will jerk his head back a lot and he never used to do that is this just because he's stressed from the mites. He also struck at me but didn't actually bite.
    Guess it could be the mites , could be anything though .. maybe even going into shed which does make them a little more nervous/ head shy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I'd get those mites treated & hold off on the psychoanalysis for now. As Zinc said, might be going into shed, but yes, mites don't improve a snake's mood.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Ok thank you.

Thanks

I don't think he's going into shed because he shed last week. Also could the scared thing possibly be very bad?

Thanks

I don't think he's going into shed because he shed last week. Also could the scared thing possibly be very bad?
    Just be patient...snakes rely on instincts & like the rest of us, they have hormones and they have good days & bad (when they regress & depend on instincts & assume
    the worst about us). Is there anything new going on that he might be picking up on? Unusual scents in the air? lots of bass in music being played? New cats or kids
    around teasing him? Even weather (low pressure systems) could possibly affect snakes, etc. You're in it for the "long haul" with a pet snake...not every day is perfect.

Maybe I'm reading you wrong but you sound as if you're really worried about a potential bite from a ball python? It's not a big deal, but BPs don't usually bite anyway- they're quite mellow as snakes go. Just try not to startle him...remember they don't recognize us visually, but use touch, heat & scent...so you need
    to communicate using HIS best senses, not yours.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-07-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks

Im not worried about the bite exactly, I'm worried he will bite and as a reflex ill pull my hand back and hurt him. Also its been rainy lately. And there are kids but there not that loud and they don't go near the snake but sometimes they can be loud.

Thanks

Im not worried about the bite exactly, I'm worried he will bite and as a reflex ill pull my hand back and hurt him. Also its been rainy lately. And there are kids but there not that loud and they don't go near the snake but sometimes they can be loud.
    I guess you can practice not pulling your hand away by having someone stick you (lightly!) with a straight pin? That's what snake teeth feel like.
    But unless you can teach your BP to talk & tell you what's bugging him, all you can do is take your best guess...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-07-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks
    Ok thank you for the help i just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. I just want him to be happy and healthy 😀.

Thanks

...I just want him to be happy and healthy 😀.
    I know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast