Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,908

2 members and 1,906 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran ballpythonandragon's Avatar
    Thanks

What would be best

Hello Ive been wanting a monitor for some time now and im looking for one that lets you handle them and won't eat your fingers. Ive wanted a Sav for long time would that be a good one to start with? Thanks Aaron
    don't have any reptiles apartment says no.

Thanks

Re: What would be best

The best starter monitor is a Ackie, yes they do cost alot more than a Savannah, but they stay smaller and are far more tracktable than a Sav. Sav's also have more problems than some of the captive bred monitors as 99.9% of all savs are WC. If you are looking for a larger but not giant monitor (waters/crocs) the Argus/Sand cross's are nice I have one that is now around 22" and is about a year old. He is a killer eater and after some work on my part is not to bad to handle (so long as he isnt hungry)
    Things to keep in mind with a monitor, other than Ackies they will require a large enclosure, are not going to be docile by nature(if it is its sick and ready to die), they eat alot my argus is doing 2 adult mice every 3 days, full grown he will be on rats 2 times a week. One the upside if you are prepared for the challenge of keeping one they are impressive animals are can be very entertaining to watch. Also check your local laws as many area's have past laws against keeping Large "dangerous" animals and many times monitors fall under that catagory.
    -Sean
    Mazdaspeed 3, yeah its silly fast!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Python-77
    The best starter monitor is a Ackie, yes they do cost alot more than a Savannah, but they stay smaller and are far more tracktable than a Sav. Sav's also have more problems than some of the captive bred monitors as 99.9% of all savs are WC. If you are looking for a larger but not giant monitor (waters/crocs) the Argus/Sand cross's are nice I have one that is now around 22" and is about a year old. He is a killer eater and after some work on my part is not to bad to handle (so long as he isnt hungry)
    Things to keep in mind with a monitor, other than Ackies they will require a large enclosure, are not going to be docile by nature(if it is its sick and ready to die), they eat alot my argus is doing 2 adult mice every 3 days, full grown he will be on rats 2 times a week. One the upside if you are prepared for the challenge of keeping one they are impressive animals are can be very entertaining to watch. Also check your local laws as many area's have past laws against keeping Large "dangerous" animals and many times monitors fall under that catagory.
    I agree fully, I also wanted to add in, make sure you have a vet ready to deal with a monitor. Not all exotic DVM's work with them, so check around. Also ensure you feed a varied diet, and as stated above, they can pack it away! Have you thought of a Tegu at all?
    Rusty
    CT Reptile Rescue
    Rescue, Rehabilitation & Education
    For all Reptiles & Amphibians
    CTReptileRescue@Comcast.net
    (website coming soon)

Please help support:
    http://www.kidney.org/
    http://www.americanheart.org/
    http://www.liverfoundation.org/

Thanks

Tegus rock.. they do tend to be larger though.. definitely bigger than an ackie. B&W and red tegus can be 4' and 20lbs pretty easily. Super sweet lizards though.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/