Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,815

2 members and 2,813 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Reptile safe flea treatment.

Ok this might be a long shot, but I am looking for something similar to an in home flea treatment, bomb or spray. The problem is, I have 27 balls, 2 beardies, and 8 leo’s. On top of that we have 4 dogs, 4 indoor cats and a mini pig. All 4 legged furry animals have been treated with frontline, and the capstar pills, haven’t found fleas on them in a few days but I found some in the carpet. Idk how we got infested so bad but I need to pretty much bomb the house. With that many pets it’s hard to evacuate the house for several hours. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fleas and reptile mites are different, one feed on warm blooded animals the other on cold blooded.

For cold blooded animals you want to use something that takes care of eggs and adults, people usually do their own mix (I do not recommend it if you do not know what you are doing)

or use Provent A Mite or a cheaper Alternative and it is of course important to treat all animals not just the one that have the issue.
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (08-07-2019)

Thanks

Re: Reptile safe flea treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post
    Fleas and reptile mites are different, one feed on warm blooded animals the other on cold blooded.

For cold blooded animals you want to use something that takes care of eggs and adults, people usually do their own mix (I do not recommend it if you do not know what you are doing)

or use Provent A Mite or a cheaper Alternative and it is of course important to treat all animals not just the one that have the issue.
    Maybe we both read it differently but I think the OP was asking about flea bombing (fogging) the the whole house and how to do it with reptiles or if it's safe to do so. If I'm wrong sorry for trying to correct you!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2019),jmcrook (08-06-2019),Jmpalazzo (08-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Reptile safe flea treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart_Reptiles View Post

I think what OP is asking about suggestions on what they can use like a big bomb to kill the fleas in house without harming their reptiles. Doesn’t sound like they have mites.

Edit: toad and I posted at the same time. I think we’re both reading OPs question the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 08-06-2019 at 06:34 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2019),Jmpalazzo (08-06-2019),Toad37 (08-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I don't think there are any flea killing pesticides that are safe for reptiles, are there? I think some ppl use Frontline on snakes but dosage not the same?

Frontline is not that effective on fleas, in my experience. My dogs are on Nexguard chewables & haven't seen a flea since...but it's expensive, especially for
    that many dogs/cats. Yikes!

To "bomb the house for fleas" I think all the reptiles should be on vacation at another location for a while, for their health & safety.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-06-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-06-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-06-2019),Jmpalazzo (08-06-2019),Toad37 (08-06-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's what happen when you are not paying attention

There is no sage bombing type fleas product usually when you have cold blooded animals even fish it is recommended to either no spray or bomb the area those animals are located or move them to another location.

The issue with not doing the whole house will be it will just keep happening every area must be treated.

So while it might not be fun the best would be to spend a night somewhere and take everyone along with you so long they are all maintained over 75 degrees if possible 80 for 24 hours they will be fine so stack up on snake bag and shoe boxes.

Or treat all the room but one and after 24 hours move everyone and do the last room (that means make sure the AC vent of that particular room is blocked off if you do this)
    Deborah Stewart

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Alicia (08-06-2019),jmcrook (08-06-2019),Jmpalazzo (08-06-2019)

Thanks

For the life of me I cant remember what it's called but we had a flea problem a few years ago before I had reptiles and I bombed the house and it did NOTHING! I went to my local vet and got some aerosol spray for the carpets. Safe for animals and children. Worked like magic!!! It's a bit pricey but it's definitely worth it. No fog and it's works instantly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Jmpalazzo (08-06-2019)

Thanks

This is a furry, 4 legged, warm blooded flea issue, not mites. Had this been a couple weeks ago I could have moved everyone from my fiancée’s house to my apartment (no pets) but over night I don’t think anyone would notice, but we had a building fire last week. My only other option would possibly be into the garage which isn’t attached to the house. I live in western Pennsylvania so our temps have been low 70’s at night and mid 80’s-low 90’s during the day. I will have to call my vet and ask what he recommends. Thanks

Thanks
    If you have a number of ice chests or large styro-foam food shipping boxes, you could bag your snakes & put them into the "ice chests" in garage. Be sure you
    don't crowd them or over-lap bags. If you need more warmth, a bottle of hot water will do it, as will ice water if it's too warm. I'd open them about every 8 hours
    for fresh air & to change water if needed; not sure how well your lizards will like this idea, but probably OK for them too? I've had to do this for moving cross country
    as well as for long power outage (ice storm), all my snakes were fine & stayed healthy...didn't seem to faze them. Sure is safer than pesticide exposure, good luck.

And incidentally, the flea nightmare you're having is why my dogs are on Nexguard...fleas are not an option for my house, & they're spread easily when our pets go outside, from roaming cats & squirrels as well as neighbor dogs. Some areas are much worse than others. When I lived in So. Calif. the more populated areas were awful (with fleas) but in the high desert (with no close neighbors) fleas were non-existent. How I miss those days...(no ticks either).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-06-2019 at 07:51 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jmpalazzo (08-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    For the life of me I cant remember what it's called but we had a flea problem a few years ago before I had reptiles and I bombed the house and it did NOTHING! I went to my local vet and got some aerosol spray for the carpets. Safe for animals and children. Worked like magic!!! It's a bit pricey but it's definitely worth it. No fog and it's works instantly.
    That's well-worth asking the vets about. I can remember using a kitchen/pets/kids-safe spray for ants that had wintergreen & rosemary oils in it, can't recall what else but it smelled wonderful & deeply offended the ants it didn't kill...some died, the rest left for good. So of course that product disappeared -probably bought out to silence it by a big chemical company.

But ask the vets- just in case there's something safe to use...it's always good to know. I don't know if diatomaceous earth would work on fleas, especially this bad, or not? -that's possibly a safer option?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-06-2019 at 07:59 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jmpalazzo (08-06-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast