Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,624

0 members and 2,624 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    It's a tough choice to make but kudos to you for the self-reflection.
    I gave up a crested and bearded dragon years ago because I felt they were not thriving with me (they were surviving fine but it is different), it's sad but now I feel like it was the best decision for them at that time.
    Best of luck with whatever course of action you take!
    For the Horde!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-05-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-05-2019),pretends2bnormal (08-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Thriving vs surviving...

I think we always to have reflect on the care we are giving our animals. Kudos to you for being reflective and caring what's best for your animals and not just you.

For what's it worth, I recently got a new motorcycle (after recently getting into riding). It's a sport bike and everything I dreamed of riding would be like. However, I want to be on that bike every free minute I have. I also have health issues, and there are a few days I've said, "I'll get to the reptiles later. It's so nice out and I want to ride," and then gotten super tired and fallen asleep or not felt well enough to be cleaning tanks etc. I do not feel I am neglecting my reptiles, but also feel that I need to put them first as they are living creatures, and they need to be the priority, always. Today, I implemented a new policy. Dirty tanks and animals that should be fed comes before riding. I did some tank maintenance this morning and couldn't get on the bike until tonight for a short ride.

I digressed, but my point is we always need to be evaluating what we are capable of, in all facets of life. I have 13 reptiles and 4 dogs. I took on that responsibility and enjoy them immensely and take pride in caring for them. If it becomes too much, then I either have to buck up and do what's right for them, and forgo other passions, or I need re-evaluate reptile keeping, the amount I have, what it means to me, and have an obligation to find good homes, etc. if it comes to that. For me, I just needed a slight attitude readjustment. All good now.

Now, on to your conundrum. For me, feeding live rodents (live bugs to the lizards doesn't bother me) is a deal breaker. I can't do it anymore. I hate killing the rodent, especially in that way, and I get anxious about the rodent hurting my snakes. I also really get creeped out by rodents. All my snakes happily take F/T and I made sure of that before getting them (not a 100% guarantee, but helps).

I think if you are this conflicted, finding a good home for your blood, or even giving him back to NERD, makes sense.

I've had to give animals away and it sucks. However, to be frank, it sounds like he is not thriving with you.

Understand I say that with love and respect. I know you take great pride in properly and effectively caring for your animals. You started this thread because you have doubts you are doing best for him. I think you already know the answer, and it sounds like the two of you are not the best fit possible. You BOTH deserve a better fit.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-05-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-06-2019)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I've considered trying to rehome my borneo boy more than a few times as he is very similar to yours in only wanting live. Close in age and size to yours too. He will take live rats or mice instantly, but I don't have access to them unless I drive 2 or more hours. I've bred feeders in the past when I had multiple young snakes but really don't want to start again for one snake, it's a lot of work and now I have much more predatory cats. Every other short tail I have including his sister eats like a champ, he would too as long as I only offered live. Dead he's got next to no interest, now he'll take one about 1/4 of the times I offer and actually eat it, occasionally he grabs and then drops later. It is very frustrating. I've tried various prey as I've got plenty of ft options but he won't take rabbit or quail or chicken at all. If it were me, I'd take the offer and return him.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-06-2019)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I had rehomed a cat that I really wanted to keep a few years ago. He was a fat boy but cute, 8 year old tuxedo cat who was given up at the shelter because his dad was going to a nursing home and could not take him. I really wanted it to work out between him and my resident cat, who was about 11-12 years at the time. Both were fixed, had similar personalities, and we tried introducing them several times but my resident cat was a bully. He kept harassing him to no end for a year and no one in the house was at peace. I could not rehome the resident cat due to his age, health and temperament. There is a happy ending though: the 8 year old was rehomed a week later after I had to give him up. They still have him as of last year (My resident cat is now gone to the big catnip in the sky).

It is a heartbreaking decision to give up a beloved pet. I would try every way you can to make it work. Think about it, sleep on it some more. Once he is gone, he is gone. You could later down the line get a similar personality snake or better, which is a good possibility. For now, because choices haunts us all, do your best and eventually your heart and mind will come to one agreement, and that decision will be a lot easier to make then.

On the side note, feeding live does suck butt. I hate it when I had to do it. Recently my husband bought 4 live mouse pinkies for his spiders to eat. They refused. I forced my husband to call a local vet for advice because killing them in any way seems so cruel, but dying without warmth and food is just as bad. The vet recommend the most humans method to put them down was by freezing. I don't know how much of that is true, but I have my husband the ultimatum to never feed live again if he could offer insect feeders to his spiders instead.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-06-2019),Craiga 01453 (08-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts
    ok i will layoff the Juice jokes and photochops.

looks like alotta good advice and supportive posts in this thread already. i would just add that i don't have a Blood or Short Tail, but recall that a breeder said they are swamp snakes and actually prefer damp swampy enclosures. maybe that's once aspect of husbandry to research and try? otherwise J sounds like a picky eater/has preferred prey. having plenty o' Balls, i know the whole spectrum. i converted most to f/t rats, i have some mousers and ones that take live. i just live in an area where i can easily source live and other foods. i don't feel like a failure that i haven't been able to convert some and you or anyone else should not feel that way either. i accept that these animals have a personality and preference. IMO some snakes and animals u just might not be able to convert - whether live feeder to f/t foods or mean snakey to puppy dog tame. at that time, u have to make a well thought decision to keep them and accept those quirks or let them go. <3
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    ok i will layoff the Juice jokes and photochops.

looks like alotta good advice and supportive posts in this thread already. i would just add that i don't have a Blood or Short Tail, but recall that a breeder said they are swamp snakes and actually prefer damp swampy enclosures. maybe that's once aspect of husbandry to research and try? otherwise J sounds like a picky eater/has preferred prey. having plenty o' Balls, i know the whole spectrum. i converted most to f/t rats, i have some mousers and ones that take live. i just live in an area where i can easily source live and other foods. i don't feel like a failure that i haven't been able to convert some and you or anyone else should not feel that way either. i accept that these animals have a personality and preference. IMO some snakes and animals u just might not be able to convert - whether live feeder to f/t foods or mean snakey to puppy dog tame. at that time, u have to make a well thought decision to keep them and accept those quirks or let them go. <3
    Just FYI, the "swampy" info is part of the original assumed husbandry and has since been found out as detrimental to their health over time. It is one of the issues that led to the reputations of bloods as cranky (this one was contributed to as well by higher hot spot/ambient temps) and RI-prone. The high humidity and wet enclosures resulted in the RIs, but everyone assumed it was from low humidity and made the issue worse. They're less prone to scale rot, so they didn't show that issue, so it was felt the wet substrate was correct.

Most keepers have more success when they're kept similar to BPs for the humidity. Around 60% normally and up to ~70% in shed.

Just want to put the more current info out there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Ax01 (08-06-2019),Bogertophis (08-06-2019),Toad37 (08-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

A really good source of info for Blood/STP husbandry is the Blood Cell website: http://bloodpythons.com/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (08-06-2019),Bogertophis (08-06-2019)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123