Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,119

0 members and 2,119 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

Problem with rhp

New enclosure with a rhp and just used a heat gun and the rhp is reading 191F. What the heck am i doing wrong?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Problem with rhp

The surface temperature of it? If so, that's pretty normal, especially while it is getting to an equilibrium state the first day or so. The ceiling placement & shape makes it so contact with it for more than a second or two is pretty much impossible for the snake/lizard unless decor is placed too close and that's too short of a duration to cause a burn.

3 of mine in operation right now are 85 (off), 96, and 116. In a 12", 36", and 24" height cage respectively. I don't see much above 115-120 when things are equalized unless I open the doors for more than a minute or so and the hot air escapes.

It's not too different than the temp of the mesh beneath a regulated CHE on a mesh lid. You measure the air lower down for the desired temperature & the surface of the mesh will be well-above a safe temperature for a snake or lizard to be laying on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bodie (08-04-2019),Sunnieskys (08-04-2019)

Thanks

Pretends2bnormal is spot on. Let it settle in. I use rhp in every cage I have. Initially when warming the ambient air it seems high but yet you can still touch it and keep your hand on it. With it being mounted up top, no creature is going to lay on it or such. As long as you got your thermostat probe in there you will he alright. Once I read this, i went and lasered my rhp, checked my herpstat which was reading zero % it was at 82 cause the ambient air was heated. Just like normal said....all is normal
    You are doing nothing wrong!
    Last edited by Bodie; 08-04-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

pretends2bnormal (08-04-2019),Sunnieskys (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts

So our tank is 48L x 19D x 19H. The 191 scared the crap out of me and i turned it off. She wont be in it for a few days anyway while it is tweeked to perfection and we still need to put little wire brackets to hold all the wires down. I did turn it back on and set the Stat to 85 for now. The uth is reading 86 so we adjuated that stat up to hit 90.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Yeah, it takes a day or two to adjust. It spends the first part getting too warm as the probe/air is slower to heat, so it tends to bypass the top end a bit of the tstat temp, then turning off for a bit too long and back and forth until it gets a balance and is just maintaining the set temperature rather than heating up to the temperature from room temp.

They're capable of getting pretty hot, but once it is just turning on below 50% at a time, it doesn't hit higher temperatures. Even when it does, it's generally in a position where snakes can't get to it for long enough.

I never really clocked the surface temperature on mine when in the setup phase, so I'm not sure if mine were that high, but it wouldn't surprise me. I think ~200 is about the max surface temp when they're run at 100% power though. (Want to say I read that somewhere.... not sure.)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk