Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,161

2 members and 3,159 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shed Question

Thanks

Shed Question

Well I checked on my Boa this afternoon and found an almost full shed. It looks like he has some still stuck on his head. Will this eventually work its way off or is this something I need to act on? His humidity is sitting in the low 60s on one side and low 70s on the opposite. I just now misted the enclosure to bump up the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Shed Question

It looks like the eye caps did not come off. Someone with more experience will reply soon, but I'm sure u are going to have to soak him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Personally I'd step in & help: if it's only his head, he will stay calmer by just putting a damp cloth over his head for a while (rather than soaking the whole snake).
    Then after a while you should be able to help him (gently!) remove what's left, or encourage him to slither thru a damp towel (on which you put a little pressure to
    help the old skin come off in the towel as he moves forward).

In my experience the skin left on face, chin & eyes only gets harder to remove in time...so I don't wait too long to help. Be sure to check tail tip too, always.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (08-04-2019),EL-Ziggy (08-05-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Shed Question

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Well I checked on my Boa this afternoon and found an almost full shed. It looks like he has some still stuck on his head. Will this eventually work its way off or is this something I need to act on? His humidity is sitting in the low 60s on one side and low 70s on the opposite. I just now misted the enclosure to bump up the humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That bit of skin and any retained eye caps can be easily sorted .. get a very damp , rough textured towel and wrap the snake up in it - let the snake slither around as long as possible.. when it’s head pops out just cover it up again with the excess towel ..as it’s slithering around you should apply very gentle pressure to the head region and after a while the skin and eye caps will just come off nice and gently ON the towel .

Please don’t try pulling at the skin or using any kind of TAPE !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 08-04-2019 at 05:13 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    That bit of skin and any retained eye caps can be easily sorted .. get a very damp , rough textured towel and wrap the snake up in it - let the snake slither around as long as possible.. when it’s head pops out just cover it up again with the excess towel ..as it’s slithering around you should apply very gentle pressure to the head region and after a while the skin and eye caps will just come off nice and gently ON the towel .

Please don’t try pulling at the skin or using any kind of TAPE !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Appreciate all the responses since this is my 1st time dealing with this. I tried the towel technique for a couple of minutes while my snake continuously tried to escape. I didn't have too much success although I'm willing to keep trying. What about allowing him to soak in a tub for a good 15-20 or do you think his head will be above water too much to do any good?

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Appreciate all the responses since this is my 1st time dealing with this. I tried the towel technique for a couple of minutes while my snake continuously tried to escape. I didn't have too much success although I'm willing to keep trying. What about allowing him to soak in a tub for a good 15-20 or do you think his head will be above water too much to do any good?
    That's why he needs a very damp towel over his head...no point soaking his body, he won't submerge his head.
    This probably won't be the first time you'll need to help a snake shed, so no time like the present to learn to keep him quiet & cooperating to finish what he started.

Be gentle & persistent, but win the battle of the shed... One reason the old skin often sticks on their heads is that the scales are smaller. Be sure to check the chin-
    that's a common place where it sticks & it's hard to get off, even with our help.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-04-2019),Zincubus (08-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    That's why he needs a very damp towel over his head...no point soaking his body, he won't submerge his head.
    This probably won't be the first time you'll need to help a snake shed, so no time like the present to learn to keep him quiet & cooperating to finish what he started.

Be gentle & persistent, but win the battle of the shed... One reason the old skin often sticks on their heads is that the scales are smaller. Be sure to check the chin-
    that's a common place where it sticks & it's hard to get off, even with our help.
    So I tried once more w/ a larger damp towel and I was able to get some shed off. Not sure if there is more left to come off because it's hard to tell but I wanted to let him alone for awhile. This is probably the most intimate I've been with him since I got him and I was happy to say he never became defensive. I'll try again maybe tomorrow if I notice some shed still on his head area. It's a little difficult for me to tell.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (08-05-2019)

Thanks
    I understand your hesitation, but fyi, in nearly all cases, snakes actually seem to understand & maybe even appreciate our help, as long as we're patient,
    not rushing them. Be confident & persistent, but gentle always. This is one reason for our pet snakes to be accustomed to handling...when it comes to a
    health issue, they are less stressed since it's not the first time for such contact. Nearly all snakes learn to accept us as non-threatening if we give them half
    a chance, & trust me, they don't enjoy being stuck in their skin. Another thing that will help this (in the future, if not now) is to provide a humid hide when
    your snake is going into shed, or even all the time (many enjoy it). I realize you probably don't have on hand what you need to make him a humid hide at
    the moment, but you might want to look into that soon if not this moment...they aren't hard to set up. To keep the moisture inside, I use large food storage
    containers (plastic) & cut a hole in the snap off top (big enough for the snake to easily fit thru). Halfway fill the inside with water-saturated & drained sphagnum
    moss (or very damp orchid bark, etc) & place the box in cage (not on warm side or it will dry out too fast) & check periodically to make sure it stays moist
    enough. Your snake will most likely find & explore it on his own, or if you hold your snake so his nose is near the door, many will go right in & check it out
    that much sooner. In the humid hide, you could also use a very damp terry towel that fits in lieu of other damp substrate, so IF you have a suitable container
    (big enough) you might even be able to set it up right now. Your snake will thank you...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (08-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I understand your hesitation, but fyi, in nearly all cases, snakes actually seem to understand & maybe even appreciate our help, as long as we're patient,
    not rushing them. Be confident & persistent, but gentle always. This is one reason for our pet snakes to be accustomed to handling...when it comes to a
    health issue, they are less stressed since it's not the first time for such contact. Nearly all snakes learn to accept us as non-threatening if we give them half
    a chance, & trust me, they don't enjoy being stuck in their skin. Another thing that will help this (in the future, if not now) is to provide a humid hide when
    your snake is going into shed, or even all the time (many enjoy it). I realize you probably don't have on hand what you need to make him a humid hide at
    the moment, but you might want to look into that soon if not this moment...they aren't hard to set up. To keep the moisture inside, I use large food storage
    containers (plastic) & cut a hole in the snap off top (big enough for the snake to easily fit thru). Halfway fill the inside with water-saturated & drained sphagnum
    moss (or very damp orchid bark, etc) & place the box in cage (not on warm side or it will dry out too fast) & check periodically to make sure it stays moist
    enough. Your snake will most likely find & explore it on his own, or if you hold your snake so his nose is near the door, many will go right in & check it out
    that much sooner. In the humid hide, you could also use a very damp terry towel that fits in lieu of other damp substrate, so IF you have a suitable container
    (big enough) you might even be able to set it up right now. Your snake will thank you...
    Thanks! I've heard of humid hides but never considered them because I've always gotten a perfect shed on both my snakes. Is this any different then putting something that holds moisture in the hides that I use now (i.e. common black reptile basic hides). Since, I'm using AP cages, the humidity stays pretty high. I just sprayed my enclosure to bump it up.

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks

Thanks! I've heard of humid hides but never considered them because I've always gotten a perfect shed on both my snakes. Is this any different then putting something that holds moisture in the hides that I use now (i.e. common black reptile basic hides). Since, I'm using AP cages, the humidity stays pretty high. I just sprayed my enclosure to bump it up.
    If you just stick very damp matter in a regular bottomless hide you'll end up with a wet (damp) cage floor, which promotes mold & scale issues on your snake. It's better
    to keep this much moisture in one location, & fyi, spraying the cage seldom does very much to help...not sure I can explain why, but it's not only my observation.

I have a spotted python who needs, loves & regularly uses her humid hide. Hers is actually half-way over the UTH too, so it dries out faster, but she likes to be warm,
    & without this humid hide, her sheds are awful. With it, not a bit of trouble.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-04-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast