Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,224

0 members and 2,224 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Baking Wood to Disinfect

This might be a dumb question, but bear with me.

So so I picked up a nice piece of grape wood from the local expo for my python's enclosure. When I got it home I baked it for about an hour @ 300F to get rid of anything on the wood. I think I kinda over did it though. I'm a terrible cook... It wasn't charred but it got darker and smells pretty strongly of smoke. Think wood fireplace type smell. I let it sit out for about a week hoping the smell would go away. Then I went ahead and put it in the enclosure. Well now the enclosure smells pretty strongly of that smokey wood smell. I know snakes are pretty sensitive to smells and smoke. Could this smokey smell be potentially harmful? Anybody else baked wood and had this problem?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Sorry to say I think I'd toss it...yes, you burnt it. The only way to salvage it at this point may be to coat it with a non-toxic waterproofing product or sealant that
    dries non-toxic (so as to contain the smell). Scientists do tell us that charring of food is carcinogenic (even on your steak!!!) so I'd have to consider a burnt log to
    also be detrimental to the health of your snake as it is...because he'll be touching it. Can't say if that's as bad as ingesting it, but I wouldn't take the risk, even if
    it didn't smell bad.

For future reference, if you want to bake some wood to kill insects, it's done on a very "low & slow" oven temperature, not over 250*....200* is fine, and it helps
    to get the wood wet first too, so it won't burn so fast in the oven. It's the heat & length of time that kills the insects, & it will dry out as it bakes for an hour or
    so. Keep an eye on it too...don't set fire to the kitchen.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LostJuly4th (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Baking Wood to Disinfect

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For future reference, if you want to bake some wood to kill insects, it's done on a very "low & slow" oven temperature, not over 250*....200* is fine, and it helps to get the wood wet first too, so it won't burn so fast in the oven. It's the heat & length of time that kills the insects, & it will dry out as it bakes for an hour or so. Keep an eye on it too...don't set fire to the kitchen.
    This. Bear in mind that pasteurization for milk occurs at 145*F for 30 minutes. So, baking wood at 150-175*F for 60 minutes to let the heat penetrate deep into the wood where insects may have burrowed will be plenty.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-04-2019),LostJuly4th (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Thanks! That's probably what I did in the past (150-175*) but it's been quite a while. 250* did sound too high.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LostJuly4th (08-04-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

My oven turns on only slightly below the 200F setting, not sure what temp it actually is (guessing 175 or so), but I use that on wood after spraying it down for an hour when I need to disinfect wood.

If it smells even after extensive airing out, definitely toss it. I had some cork bark we accidentally left in the oven when we preheated for 10 or 15 minutes to a cooking temperature, but the smokey smell aired out in a week or so just left on the couner. Once it smelled normal up close, we went ahead and used it; slightly darker appearance was the only evidence of that mistake.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

LostJuly4th (08-04-2019)

Thanks

I baked all my cork hides I have after every major cage cleaning. I do it at 200 for an hour. Every bag of new substrate I get, i will bake it also. Probably a bit overboard, but i done it for years. Old habits are hard to break
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa (Northern)
    0.1 Green Tree Python (Aru)
    0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake
    1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake
    1.0 Pied Het Lavender Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Yellow Phase Eastern Hognose

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

LostJuly4th (08-04-2019)

Thanks

I went ahead and tossed it. Sounds like I baked it way to hot. Definitely didn't wet it, I'll try that next time. Thanks for the info.