Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Snake drooling substrate in mouth

I was feeding one of my snakes before once she finished she was still in food mode and striking at everything . And ended up with a mouth full of substrate , so I picked her up and managed to get all the substrate I could see out of her mouth ..... but then she started drooling prolifically, so I got ear bud and opened her mouth she had no bubbles or substrate in mouth she has stopped now. Do you think it could be to do with the whole substrate incident ... or should I book her in rep vet just to be 100%

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Snake drooling substrate in mouth

Quote Originally Posted by callumdegg View Post
    I was feeding one of my snakes before once she finished she was still in food mode and striking at everything . And ended up with a mouth full of substrate , so I picked her up and managed to get all the substrate I could see out of her mouth ..... but then she started drooling prolifically, so I got ear bud and opened her mouth she had no bubbles or substrate in mouth she has stopped now. Do you think it could be to do with the whole substrate incident ... or should I book her in rep vet just to be 100%

Also sometimes I can hear her breathing loudly but she is a retic so this may be normal .. she makes the odd hissy noise whilst being handled

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It would help to know if she was drooling prior to the substrate incident...I'd keep an eye on her mouth & breathing, it's not something we can tell you for sure.

You haven't mentioned her size either? Larger snakes typically make a little more (normal) noise when breathing, especially when being handled in such a way that applies pressure to their lung.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-03-2019 at 07:08 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Snake drooling substrate in mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It would help to know if she was drooling prior to the substrate incident...I'd keep an eye on her mouth & breathing, it's not something we can tell you for sure.

You haven't mentioned her size either? Larger snakes typically make a little more (normal) noise when breathing, especially when being handled in such a way that applies pressure to their lung.

She wasn’t drooling prior to the incident . And she is approximately 11ft and since I got her she does this loud exhale a few times I have looked at her today and she seems fine . I think it was just the substrate incident , I will keep a eye on her ... at the time it just really scared me lol