Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,849

1 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: New Sand Boa

Thanks

New Sand Boa

I just got a fully grown kenyan sand boa today! He's about 18 inches long. He's an adult but his exact age is not known. He hasn't eaten in over a week, but I'm not gonna feed him since he was just delivered today. How long should I wait to feed him?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    When you first posted you got a new snake (in the other thread) I assumed it was a corn snake...good thing you started over with a new thread, eh? Really
    helps to know what snake we're discussing.

Why can't they tell you his age? Isn't he c/b? (captive bred) Are you sure it's a male?

You said he was "delivered"? so he was shipped by air? I'd give it a week before offering food...he should be fine. Some snakes are more upset by travel & being
    in a new unfamiliar cage than others...& it often seems like "baby" (neonate/hatchling) snakes are more resilient & less bothered by the change. In any event, it's
    best to let them settle in for at least a week before feeding...otherwise they may refuse to eat, or worse yet, eat & regurgitate (& if that happens, you'll have to wait
    even longer to feed so they have time to replenish their digestive enzymes, otherwise you risk a repeat & even a "downward spiral".)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (08-02-2019)

Thanks

Re: New Sand Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    When you first posted you got a new snake (in the other thread) I assumed it was a corn snake...good thing you started over with a new thread, eh? Really
    helps to know what snake we're discussing.

Why can't they tell you his age? Isn't he c/b? (captive bred) Are you sure it's a male?

You said he was "delivered"? so he was shipped by air? I'd give it a week before offering food...he should be fine. Some snakes are more upset by travel & being
    in a new unfamiliar cage than others...& it often seems like "baby" (neonate/hatchling) snakes are more resilient & less bothered by the change. In any event, it's
    best to let them settle in for at least a week before feeding...otherwise they may refuse to eat, or worse yet, eat & regurgitate (& if that happens, you'll have to wait
    even longer to feed so they have time to replenish their digestive enzymes, otherwise you risk a repeat & even a "downward spiral".)
    Yeah, he's captive bred, they just don't know his age because they got him as an adult. And yep, he was shipped by air overnight. Thanks for the advice, I will wait a week!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Countach For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-02-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    And of course we look forward to seeing him too, but don't handle or stress him further to get pictures yet either...just let him settle in.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Countach (08-02-2019)

Thanks

Re: New Sand Boa

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And of course we look forward to seeing him too, but don't handle or stress him further to get pictures yet either...just let him settle in.
    He's a normal morph, one of the more pastel/faded looking ones. I'll get pictures once he's settled in.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Countach For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-02-2019)